What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cephcicle

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Here's a couple pics of my Ceph 'Emu Point' that I got from RSS a few months back. Thanks Randall! Anyway two days ago I went out in the morning to find that I had forgotten to bring my Ceph in the previous evening. I've been keeping it in full sun almost since I got it, and wanted to do so for as long as possible before bringing it in. Temp got down to about 30F. It's in a pot about 4" tall, and was in a tray with about 1/2" of water. The tray was sitting on the ground. Anyways the water in the tray was not frozen at all, but the top 1" of substrate was frozen solid. I brought the plant in and let it thaw, expecting the worst. So far so good though, including a leaf pulling that is in the same pot. These are pics of the plant in its winter home taken 48 hours after the freeze. Light is a 9W 6500K led flood light I got off Amazon a while back. I can't remember how much I paid, but it wasn't much more than $10, if that much. Sorry for the crappy phone pics. Second pic is just to show how close the light is to the plant, approx. 1.5" away:

Attachments

• cf1.jpg
    cf1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 60
  • cf2.jpg
    cf2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 84
A few years ago I had my Cephalotus plants ( Big Boy) down to 0F so 30F is nothing to worry about.

NB I do not recommend allowing Cephalotus temperatures to fall this low but if they're in a large enough pot they can survive.

I hope it is unharmed. Cephs are one of my favorite cps. Hope to try one again at some point.

Updates? I'm curious about their tolerance.

Haha the title of this thread made me laugh. I'm also a bit interested to see if the temp sets the ceph back at all.

Figured it's about time for an update. Plant apparently suffered no setback from the freeze. It's growing and showing nice color. Pic:

Attachments

• 14199803984031747257805.jpg
    14199803984031747257805.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 39
wow your very lucky!!!! btw ur profile pic too scary

A few years ago I had my Cephalotus plants ( Big Boy) down to 0F so 30F is nothing to worry about.

NB I do not recommend allowing Cephalotus temperatures to fall this low but if they're in a large enough pot they can survive.

Gives me high hopes for my future project!

Figured it's about time for an update. Plant apparently suffered no setback from the freeze. It's growing and showing nice color. Pic:

Thanks for the update. These are tougher plants than we give they credit for.

Back