What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My bigmouth, one month later... act now, and see a freak trap!

Here it is a month ago...

DSCF0254.jpg

...and here it is now. (ba BAM!)

bigmouth.jpg

It's starting to color up too. In bright light, the insides of the traps are distinctly pink, and the trigger hairs are now purple.

And here you go, a tried and true in the "flesh" VFT freak trap. It is halfway split down the middle, that sprout has put out several like this, each one more and more split. If it keeps going, I might have a sprout that will make a dual trap leaf! It also puts out several other mutations, such as cup traps and crested petioles.

freaktrapcopy.jpg

Woah! That really is deformed! Nice 'Big Mouth'. If it continuously makes all these deformations, you could try to make a new plant out of a cutting (probably still the same Big Mouth) but if it's prone to deformations, it could be a wanted variety!

It looks happy too.

Mines doing the exact same thing, making those traps with missing spots, fused tooth.

You're plant looks vigorous, but a long way from the deep purple trap interiors.

More light!

Plants from Tissue Culture sometimes go through an aberrant growth phase producing odd leaves and stems. They usually go away after a growing season or two. Remember the "pom-pom" VFTs.

pretty! I've never seen a mutation like that before ;)

There's some weird stuff on BobZ's photo finder. Look under strange growth.

You're plant looks vigorous, but a long way from the deep purple trap interiors.

More light!

The light thing's killing me! I want more light, but this Kansas spring isn't cooperating! :( I can't wait until summer!

That last link was a great one, this seems to be what my plant is heading for. I certainly hope that it continues to put out wierd traps!

Back