What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Babies!

Ridetsu

Gamer
Well, they may not be reptile or amphibian - but they do dwell in terrariums!
my first lil girl is Dozer... I've had her since i was in middle school (seven years ago), and she was just under a year old when i got her from the pet store. She's shed 3 times for me (the most recent being only about a month ago - which scared me greatly. If anyone knows tarantulas well, they will notice one of her legs isn't working properly - its cuz she stressed it during her last molt. But as you can see - she's still able to climb glass, and is more than able to catch prey still. It pains me to see it every time though, cuz i blame myself for the stressing. Either way, she is my pride and joy, and i love her. She is a mexican Rose-Hair, and before she molted last month, her hair had grown white. Now though, she looks very vibrant.
Dozer.JPG

Next is my recent expedition.. scorpions!
Team_cranky.JPG

My girlfriend convinced me not to name them for reasons i understand very well. However, my attempts to hold them and be with them have been very.. well.. lets just say it doesn't end well. Most things with fangs, barbs, and stingers have them cuz they don't want to be touched... trust me.. that is the reason XD
They are Emperor scorpions - a female and male pair. They have mated, and if the female will ever decide its time, they will have babies. The male is hurt, however - he has a broken/dead sensory gill on his stomach, so he has a hard time tracking food - he makes due though.
Note: Scorpions are VERY social insects with one-another. As long as they are fed to their content, and have enough space, they will live happily together in groups of 40 or more. However, I've seen them cram into a single hole and put up a wall of claws and stingers to protect their 'family' from potential predators.
Either way, they are cranky.

Cranky.JPG
(CRANKY)
Male

Crankier.JPG
(CRANKIER)
Female

Note: Scorpions are VERY social insects

lol they aren't insects :-)) lol it's ok, I get what you mean. :D

Neat. I had no idea they could be kept in groups. I want one now!

The male just grow a new pectine with the next molt or two, right?

lol they aren't insects :-)) lol it's ok, I get what you mean. :D

i called them insects because a LOT of people consider arachnids to be insects, and its just easier XD

The male should regrow it with a new molt, but that has yet to happen. He gets by though, and obviously since i watched them mate (awkward), the female has no problem with it.

"Note: Scorpions are VERY social insects"

Most in fact live solitair lifestyles although there are always exceptions to the rule. I think a better word would be tolerant since communal would indicate that they help each other out in some sort of way. Off the top of my head Emperors, most Centruroides and Vaejovis can be kept communal, keep them well fed and they won't need to resort to cannibalism.

To the OP, I'm actually surprised you stopped at 1 tarantula and 2 scorpions. I tell you, these critters are like CPs - you can't just have one!

Here's a list of my critters:
Tarantulas
1. Brachypelma vagans (2)
2. Brachypelma albopilosum
3. Brachypelma smithi
4. Avicularia avicularia
5. Avicularia versicolor
6. Pterinochulus chordatus (4)
7. Pterinochilus murinus
8. Psalmopeus reduncus
9. Psalmopeus cambridgei
10. Psalmopeus irminia
11. Poecilotheria ornata
12. Poecilotheria striata
13. Poecilotheria regalis (2 males sent out for breeding)
14. Nhandu chromatus
15. Citharischius crawshayi
16. Megaphobema robustum
17. Lasiodora parahybana

Scorpions
1. Mesobuthus martensii
2. Hadrurus arizonensis

you have so many beautiful tarantulas! I am jealous above all else!

I would take in more, but i don't have enough terrariums/aquariums/tanks tyo put them in - and if i did, i wouldn't have too much room to put them! Either way though, i will be getting more in the future - my first love is tarantulas ^.^
As for scorpions being social, i guess you are correct when it comes down to vocabulary. While i would not put more than three tarantulas in the same tank, i would put well over 3 scorpions in a tank. Like humans though, if starved, scorpions will feed on eachother. I have watched my two Emperors hunt though, and corner crickets. While they don't like to share, they do actively participate in hunting. Maybe its because of their enclosure, or maybe they act as a team - i don't know.. but it is always fun to watch.

Yaay insectivorous things!

I think it's fair to say most humans would rather die than eat each other. I wouldn't call eating each other normal starving-behavior.

Pfff, Thats nuttin.

I have a

3 T. blondi 1M 2F
X T. blondi slings
5 Scolopendra heros one with some eggs

just kidding I used to have 2 G. rosea but A fire wiped my two out, Along with tons of ant Colonies. But Now I want at least Red Kneed T, A roach "colony", plus ants never take up much space.

But What I do have are 4 Formica geogagates queens, Hopefully they settle in and start laying eggs, Just caught them 2 days ago now.
99e16bf3.jpg

ee12cc50.jpg

36ac5132.jpg

I sure do miss my Tarantulas, I did want some scorpions, Maybe I could turn my 30 gallon fish tank into a scorpion habitat, get 1 Male and 1 Female, and start a little family. But Don't the females eat the young if they cant get away after they get big enough?

Nice collections though.

How do you catch those queens? Do you dig up colonies or wait until they swarm?

I wait for nuptial flights, (swarms). Less destructive than destroying a developed colony, unless its small, which means its usually a 1 year colony, or 2 year. But larger colonies can be almost impossible to find a queen so its not a good idea to try and capture a queen.

Here is mine Liphistius malayanus the black trap door spider they have segmented abdomen with spider do not have now. These are some of the most primitive spiders on earth.

Liphistiusmalayanus005.jpg

Back