What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Aquariums

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Here are a few recent pictures of my aquariums. I have one 55 gallon and three 10 gallon aquariums.

Here's my 55gal.
55Gallon.jpg

My albino longfinned bristlenose pleco breeding tank.
BreederTank.jpg

A close up of the male in a net looking after the eggs.
MalewithEggs.jpg

The bristlenose grow out tank with several different broods of fry.
GrowOutTank.jpg

A close up of some of the little ones.
PlecoFry.jpg

The last 10 gallon is my African dwarf frog tank. It didn't turn out that great. I'll try to get a picture of it later.

Crystal

Awww the babies are adorable!

Thank you for sharing! Now.... is that a guppy that is about to release a brood or an Endlers?

The guppy is the only survivor from a group of green/blue snake skin guppies that I received from a breeder awhile back. I had moved her there several months ago in hopes that she did spawn with my remaining male before he did. Unfortunately I don't think they bred. She has gotten much larger though. I don't know if she's suffering from false pregnancy or not.

Thanks guys for the comments!
smile.gif

Nice tanks.

I'm still amazed that you can get a Bristlenosed Pleco to spawn!

The darned things spawn in my filter
mad.gif
. At least I know where he is when he disappears for a few days.

He likes the current in there I guess.
Dad.jpg

DadwithEggs.jpg

Now that's someone that knows how to go with the flow!
smile_m_32.gif

I had no idea they had such flowy fins.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Nov. 01 2006,3:53)]Nice tanks.
Thanks
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 01 2006,6:46)]I had no idea they had such flowy fins.

This particular variety does. My female has even longer fins than the male pictured.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 01 2006,6:43)]Now that's someone that knows how to go with the flow!
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah no kidding. It can be a bit annoying to get him out of there and into the basket though. I need to get a couple powerheads to run in the tank to cause more current. I have a huge filter on that particular aquarium. I believe it's rated for a 30 gallon and above, it's in a 10 gallon tank. I think that's one reason why he likes it so much.

Great photos! I tried BN plecos once(normal variety, likely WC) but that did not go very well. Great job with them. While the longfins are attractive I think the standard onces are the nicest myself.

Would installing a secondary filter be feasible - one for the plecos and one to do the intended job?

Wow Wow Wow!
Thanks for sharing! I had seen articles about people breeding bristlenoses, and new that albinos exhisted. I had never seen longfin bristles, much less longfin albinos!
Great job!! Did you order the parents special, or find them at a local shop?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 02 2006,6:27)]Would installing a secondary filter be feasible - one for the plecos and one to do the intended job?
Yes and no. I'm pretty sure he's going to try to use the filter that's used to filter the water. I would have to go through the trouble of blocking off the overflow to keep him from jumping up in there, so he would be forced to either use the coconut shells like he's supposed to, or just used the other filter. Regardless though, I would end up having to move him and the eggs. I left him in there one time with the eggs. The eggs hatched, but the fry were eventually forced down into the aquarium. I found that they have a lot of trouble surviving in such a large space. So I keep them confined to their little baskets until they get about half an inch in length.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woodnative @ Nov. 02 2006,9:01)]Wow Wow Wow!
Thanks for sharing! I had seen articles about people breeding bristlenoses, and new that albinos exhisted. I had never seen longfin bristles, much less longfin albinos!
Great job!! Did you order the parents special, or find them at a local shop?
Thank you! I ordered the parents about 2 years ago from an auction website used only for fish and aquatic plants. I started out with 12 that were around 2 inches each. Since then they have grown into what you see now. I've lost a few, but that's normal. Now I have the little guys coming out of my ears
smile.gif

Man, I wish I could have a bristlenose pleco! They'd be like a bull in a chinashop in my planted 10 gallon, though!

I heard that the albino's typically top out at around 4 inches. is this true?

I think it's so awesome how the dad guards the eggs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 03 2006,9:44)]Man, I wish I could have a bristlenose pleco! They'd be like a bull in a chinashop in my planted 10 gallon, though!

I heard that the albino's typically top out at around 4 inches. is this true?

I think it's so awesome how the dad guards the eggs!
I think that is standard for most bristlenoses, though the albinos are probably less robust.

You might want to look into corydoras or otocinclus for your tank. JLAP

Oh i'd love 3 octos, but I can't find them!

Hehe, my tank is looking great with the new Downoi and all the new Hemianthis callichtrichoieds (i butchered that... HC for short) I planted. Can't wait to show you guys!

Hey, this is my 4000th post!

Very Nice!

Keep up the bristle breeding!
smile.gif

Back