What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So today I got the OK call on a rental house for me and my roommate to move into. It doesn't have everything we wanted (no garage, kind of small for a three bedroom) but it's better than this tiny apartment and our loud, nosy neighbors. The landlords are super nice and said I could do the unfinshed yards on the side and front of the house however I like, as well as put in water features or beds anywhere (within reason.)
I haven't lived in a house since I was five and I've only raised my outdoor CPs on the porch of this third-story apartment. Even three stories up, I manage to get visiting birds and squirrels, so naturally I'm a little apprehensive about leaving all of my plants in the yard... especially since the property is situated next to a park where birds, squirrels and deer abound. Basically, I'm wondering what kind of methods people use to keep animals out of their collections. I plan to use bird netting, and perhaps build a fence. I'm tempted to build a deer scare as well, as I understand that deer find Darlingtonia to be irresistable. Are there any plants I could grow to discourage visitors to my garden?
Worst comes to worst, I'll build a big arched greenhouse frame to put over my entire collection and just cover it with netting. But I really like the idea of putting in a bog/pond and making things look nice. I'd probably just do sunken containers, so I could pull everything up when I move, but having stuff in the ground would look nicer and make it less tempting for the neighbor kids to steal. I'd rather not have everything on one of my crummy looking workbenches like they are now, as my collection will be in the middle of the front yard for the whole street to see. The next time I go for a visit I'll maybe take some pics and measurements so I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
~Joe

I live in an area that has tons of squirrels and so far they have left all my plants alone. I don't know if they are just not interested or maybe they are scared of my vicious kats. My kats seem to HATE the local squirrels. So maybe you should get a few to patrol you garden. I have seen my kats go balistic on the squirrels many times. I'll often walk around the house and see squirrel tails and the occasional dead squirrel. LOL and just like kats they like to drop the squirrel carcases right at the front door. Now that I think about it, maybe I should watch my back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The landlords are super nice and said I could do the unfinshed yards on the side and front of the house however I like, as well as put in water features or beds anywhere (within reason.)

So I take it the 3 story high slip 'n' slide is out? :-\

Sounds like a fun project, though! I'm going through some contemplation about what do do with some yardspace, too. Keep us updated! Not sure about the squirrels. They could be less of a problem since the park is near... Maybe.

Poison oak keeps birds and some other critters out. Including most humans (they actually do use it during restoration projects to keep birds and the like out, interestingly enough.)

So far (knock on wood) the tree rats have left my plants alone. They live in my house, I hear them tromping around in the attic, but they doen't mess with my plants.

If they did at some point decide to mess with my plants a BB gun would be my solution.

Millers hot pepper concentrate is supposed to work real well, probably wouldnt want to handle the plants to much your self though after applying. touch the plant and than rubbing your eye would be the same as getting maced a lil bit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Insect Repellent for Plants! Effective and friendly. Made from hot cayenne peppers, this liquid repels insects from fruits, flowers, houseplants and vegetables up to 30 days per application.

Sounds like it will take the fun right out of your CPs.

well most CPs do just fine without insects though i find it hard to believe it repels all insects. your CPs however will not stand up to deer very long if the deer deside they make a fine salad.

Back