What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss?

• Thread starter fish30
  • Start date
It says live sphagnum so you can use it for potting up whatever you'd like. There are many species of sphagnum so it doesn't look exactly like the stuff shown on US Ebay but as long as it's sphagnum it's fine for CPs.

I've gotten myself excited on UK Ebay before - you guys are so lucky with the exotic insects sold on there! Scarabs, Phasmids and Phylliums - oh my! :D

Lets trade eBays? ;)

Would you suggest this for vft pullings? To look after it im thinking of putting moist peat (About 4cm) at the bottom of a large tray and then put the sphagnum on top. I will then mist it loads in the morning and at night. Sunlight will be hidden but will be kept in a greenhouse.

Thankyou

skip the moist peat, and just go with the sphag. sphag is very good at keeping humidity for cuttings (provided you have it covered--with a couple of holes). it also has antifungal properties which will be good for your plants as well. once your plants have their own root systems, transfer them to equal parts of peat:sand. happy growing!

Thanks! Ill buy the sphag from the link, and then get growing some. Then im able to buy myself an uprooted nep

Do you have access to "Orchid Moss" at any local garden centers/orchid greenhouses? This is just dried up/dead long fiber sphagnum instead of alive and green. It's generally sold in bundles like this:

http://www.losvolcanes.com/images/12.jpg

I use that most of the time for potting up Neps, since only the sphagnum on top of your pots will stay alive it's cheaper and the dry will eventually come back to life if you have bright light and good water.

I'm not one to ask about VFTs, I don't do well with any kinds of plants who require a true dormancy at all.

For CPs I've mainly been a Nepenthes grower off & on for the past 10 years or so and lately I am discovering an interest in the Orchidioides section of the Utricularia.

Last edited:
Back