What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More pics of Phil's collection 2006

thanks Phil.

see Pyro i keep telling yah PEAT! get rid of the dang LFS and mulch :grin: i gotta get mine out of the basement one of these days.......i would have flowers by now if it would quit cooking them in the flourecents :grin:

Alright, fine I'll repot just as soon as I get some more peat. Sheesh!! LOL

Looks like heaven to me! Amazing!

Tom

I'm with Tom on this one: OMG! I'm in Sarr heaven!

I'm sincerely happy that people are enjoying these pics of my plants. I'm very grateful to Steve for going through the trouble to do this for me. He is a good friend and one that I trust implicitly. I'm equally as happy that people who have these plants have emailed me since the pics went up and are doing just as well with them. Grow On!!

And for those of you who may be interested and live in the Los Angeles area...I'll be selling an extravaganza of these plants at the famed Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens annual plant sale on May 19 and 20. Being such a prestigious event and my third year vending there..only the best of the collection will be available. Hope to meet some of you then. (plug..plug).

Good Growing All.

Phil

Yes, I love the photos. As for the Huntington sale, I'm there already! I can't wait.

Hi Phil and thanks for your post about the photos Pyro. I quite understand.

I just hope to see more photos this year - they are stunning.

And if we do have members disrespecting Phil's wishes in the future, we will have to look at suspensions. Seriously.

Book 'em, Danno!

I, too hope for future photo's (and for some of our members to grow up!)

My U. humboltii was going wild in a few inches of waterlogged lfs topped with live sphagnum, all in an unheated terrarium under lights. Then I moved the plant into a terrarium with a heat mat.

***U. humboltii does not like warm conditions***

The specimen went back to an unheated terrarium just a few days later, only after all the leaves turned yellow and the runner/stolon things burnt halfway down to the ground. The plant is still alive but is sure taking it's time to recover.

Phil, I love your S. flava ornata. And what a display bog!

Peter

Peter, not sure if you have the same humboldti clone that Phil traded to Pyro and myself but its an "oddball" compared to the other humboldtii in cultivation here in the states as it seems to have a definate preferance for heavy peat based waterlogged soil. i tried growing a division in LFS/orchid bark like Pyro started his division and killed it fairly quickly. which is why ive been giving him crap............my division in peat has gone nuts and ive fried 3 flower stalks in the lights so far.....im going to have to move it or try and make the flowerstalks run horizontal for a while...................his division in LFS/mulch hasnt done much of anything

oh, now I remember. You posted a pic of your plant awhile back. That's pretty funny that they'd strongly prefer peat over lfs. Mud is mud, isn't it?

Is phil a nursery owner with a privite collection or just a great grower?

Pyro isnt using the LFS as a "mud" he is using it like a nepenthes mix.......sorta

Ant, just a private collector and a hell of a grower..........nice guy to boot...........

You know I am RIGHT here!! :p

So, for the record:

his division in LFS/mulch hasnt done much of anything

This may not have anything to do with media and everything to do with environment. Until recently I had it on the windowsill here at the lab. Once I moved it home to the crawlspace it rebounded wonderfully.

Pyro isnt using the LFS as a "mud" he is using it like a nepenthes mix.......sorta

But not. My Iperua get different treatment than my Orchidioides. This humbo is in a large net pot lined with sphag with a "core" of pine bark mulch. The LFS is only in there to keep the PBM in the basket. So really my set up is sort of "mud", just "mud" in a moss lining.

And I said I would repot already so quite givin me crap :censor: :nono: :jester: :-D :poke:

Back