What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIxed up Nepenthes veitchii seedling

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
At the end of January, I bought a Nepenthes veitchii seedling, by mail from a nearby carnivorous plant nursery. I've had it for 44 days, so I decided to take a picture. Wow! Let's just say I'm pleased with the growth. (if you need to convince yourself it's the same plant, look at the leaf/pitcher at 8 o'clock):

Nepenthes veitchii seedling, Jan. 30th to March 15th..png

The "problem"? It turns out the cross is not exactly what I ordered. Yes pure veitchii, but one of the parents was different--an honest and minor mistake. The price difference is small. So I just emailed the nursery to see if anything needs to be done. I'm not inclined to bring in my plant to exchange it. It looks kind of happy...

I didn't realize N. veitchii grows so fast.

I'll likely visit the nursery anyway in a couple weeks with my mom. I'll be in the area to celebrate my birthday, and we planned this a few days ago.

I gave it no fertilizer. It's possible it came with some.

Good growth! How did you find out and what exactly was it supposed to be and what did you find it to be?

Last edited:
At the end of January, I bought a Nepenthes veitchii seedling, by mail from a nearby carnivorous plant nursery. I've had it for 44 days, so I decided to take a picture. Wow! Let's just say I'm pleased with the growth. (if you need to convince yourself it's the same plant, look at the leaf/pitcher at 8 o'clock):

View attachment 11744

The "problem"? It turns out the cross is not exactly what I ordered. Yes pure veitchii, but one of the parents was different--an honest and minor mistake. The price difference is small. So I just emailed the nursery to see if anything needs to be done. I'm not inclined to bring in my plant to exchange it. It looks kind of happy...

I didn't realize N. veitchii grows so fast.

I'll likely visit the nursery anyway in a couple weeks with my mom. I'll be in the area to celebrate my birthday, and we planned this a few days ago.
id definitly reach out as wrong plant.

id definitly reach out as wrong plant.
Yeah, I did.

I'm very happy with the nursery overall, and I really want to keep the plant. So the issue is that I paid a couple extra dollars for the (slightly) wrong one.

The other Nepenthes I received from them recently (a promotional free plant) also looks good. This shows growth over essentially the same time period: 1 week after I got the plant (late January) until yesterday. It looks like a nice leaf jump.

The new growth since the first picture:

6 o'clock: new pitcher
1 o'clock: new leaf + pitcher
9 o' clock: new leaf + future pitcher

Nepenthes truncata x spectabiis, 46 days growth.png

Good growth! How did you find out and what exactly was it supposed to be and what did you find it to be?
The nursery sells several pure Nepenthes veitchii crosses, but with different parents. The one I received had a tag for a different cross than the one I paid for (same mother, but different father). I didn't notice the difference in the tag until I took the picture last night.

I cropped the tag with the name out of the photo, so as to not identify the nursery.

Last edited:
Ahhhh. I was wondering how you identified it was wrong so young. Gotcha!

I've been in communication with the nursery that sold me the plant. I consider the matter resolved. Obviously, I'm keeping the plant.

The N. veitchii has put on 2 more weeks of growth. Here it is today.

Besides the rapid increase in size, I like the big fat peristome in the pitcher on the left, in today's photo. I'm very curious what the next couple pitchers will look like.

Nepenthes veitchii seedling, Jan. 30th to March 29th..png

Looking good! I picked up a handful of a veitchii hybrid seedlings, now I've gotta decide if I want to sell them now that they've been with me a while, or let them grow some first. :LOL:

I've only had just a couple mixups over the hundred of plants over the years on what got sent to me. Actually come to think of it, even when I pushed it never got made right (mind you, they're not all CP shops). Maybe I just have bad luck with that sort of thing.

Back