What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mildew ?

That does make sense, as the pores create more mold friendly surface area. Thanks for the clarification!

I'm a mushroom grower, so I think about mold a lot ;).

A terra-cotta pot might not encourage mold in a top-watering scenario, but the plant in question is watered using the tray system. Both the soil and pot will become saturated with water, and the porous nature of the terra-cotta pot will ensure that it stays wet as hcarlton mentioned, and encourage mold growth.

I keep wanting to thank people for their posts, but am not able to do so for some reason.

If you can bring your plant upstairs and put it in a sunny window, one that gets 5+ hours of direct sun, you could solve a lot of your problems. If you can't you can't but it would be a big help.

If you can bring your plant upstairs and put it in a sunny window, one that gets 5+ hours of direct sun, you could solve a lot of your problems. If you can't you can't but it would be a big help.

i would love to , but i live with my father who is a heavy smoker, and all the plants up stairs seem to die ..even plants like spider (Chorophytum cososum bonnie) that i got to filter the air so i have no choice , also he doesnt seem to like the windows to be ti bright.
vampire i guess ;]

A terra-cotta pot might not encourage mold in a top-watering scenario, but the plant in question is watered using the tray system. Both the soil and pot will become saturated with water, and the porous nature of the terra-cotta pot will ensure that it stays wet as hcarlton mentioned, and encourage mold growth.

well got my plant repotted , it alot smaller now after moving it, and i put a glass tube over it to help with things. pics:

2mnpv69.jpg

30bl460.jpg

That glass cover will increase humidity, but that's not going to help the plant. Once acclimated sundews will live in household humidity, the only thing it absolutely needs is the light change now. The extra humidity without good light will just make mold grow faster, and if you put the plant into any place with sun and you keep that on it will cook too.

That glass cover will increase humidity, but that's not going to help the plant. Once acclimated sundews will live in household humidity, the only thing it absolutely needs is the light change now. The extra humidity without good light will just make mold grow faster, and if you put the plant into any place with sun and you keep that on it will cook too.

it has window light and a led desk light, what else is there?

Try moving the desk lamp closer to the plant (or vice versa). Desklamps generally have pretty low output, so I would keep the bulb very close to the plant (several inches away).

Try moving the desk lamp closer to the plant (or vice versa). Desklamps generally have pretty low output, so I would keep the bulb very close to the plant (several inches away).

3-5" away

Is that glass container closed at the top? If it is a completely enclosed dome you risk roasting your plant when that window gets direct sunlight.

i just hope it gets better, because it looks pretty sad right now, how long does it take for a plant to spring back after a repot?

i just hope it gets better, because it looks pretty sad right now, how long does it take for a plant to spring back after a repot?

Give it a month, it should be okay by then.

As Sash said, I would give it a few weeks to a month. As long as it has the proper conditions it will spring back quite vigorously. D. spatulata is a very durable species so I wouldn't worry about it.

As Sash said, I would give it a few weeks to a month. As long as it has the proper conditions it will spring back quite vigorously. D. spatulata is a very durable species so I wouldn't worry about it.

well it looks like it still wasting away, i think it was to late!

xzjo.jpg

As long as there is green, there is hope. Sometimes plants will completely die back and then make miraculous recoveries. Just keep your fingers crossed!

It's pretty surprising that the plant deteriorated that much in just three days. Was the plant already shrinking before you repotted it?

Last edited:
It's pretty surprising that the plant deteriorated that much in just three days. Was the plant already shrinking before you repotted it?
I am also shocked by this sudden development. There might be something seriously wrong that nobody is considering.

Back