What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Me and My Collection of Spiny Little Friends

I made the bench and the cacti!

Last edited:
Ooh, is your backyard a forest? Looks really nice. Why do you use the tray system for cacti though?

How cool! Do you have a greenhouse for winter?

@tanukimo, I don't think you would use the tray watering system for cacti. I think the trays might just make them more portable.

Nice collection, but I don't see my favorite cactus, Lophophora williamsii!

/me scans the collection for Euphorbia obesa. Nice (but prickly) friends you keep, Kevin! :-O

Ooh, is your backyard a forest? Looks really nice. Why do you use the tray system for cacti though?
Border of Leyland Cypress. They're on the north side so they don't shade the cacti, but I thought it was a pretty cool backdrop too!

The flats are really tough trays. They have holes drilled in the bottom but there are also undrained ones and that's what I use for sundews. They are a necessity to transport the plants and can bear a great deal of weight without flexing or dropping plants. Cacti get top-heavy and like to fall over so the trays keep them stable. If there are problems with my greenhouse, I can take all the plants out and shelve them in my basement for protection. I did this twice over the winter during the lowest temps and everything went for 3-day stretches without light. But they didn't freeze to death! Yay.

How cool! Do you have a greenhouse for winter?
Yep, but just a cheap one from Harbor Freight. I can't cool it enough to use it during the growing season, but it worked well this winter. Except for when the wind tried to take it away, but I put a stop to that. Lost a lot of stuff from my shelving falling over though.

Here it is while I was building/filling it up in November:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...rience-AND-SURVIVED!?highlight=harbor+freight

@tanukimo, I don't think you would use the tray watering system for cacti. I think the trays might just make them more portable.

Yup. Wish I could remember what the trays are called. They are invaluable.

Nice collection, but I don't see my favorite cactus, Lophophora williamsii!

:nono: Good luck finding one

/me scans the collection for Euphorbia obesa. Nice (but prickly) friends you keep, Kevin! :-O
I'm attracted to E. obesa too but haven't got one. Are you familiar with Lithops? Equally cool.
Eventually I'll be able to play "Where's Waldo?" with all my friends: "Hey, can anyone spot the Euphorbia here?"

Last edited:
Luck is nice. Friends in the Big Bend region of TX are better!:woot:

Very nice collection

Had some Echinopsis blooms this morning. I forgot that I'd adjusted the settings, so they're a bit dark.

beautiful blooms plantman:-D

Lophophora seeds of various species can be purchased through Mesa Garden, http://www.mesagarden.com/ I've been to cactus shows where the vendors offered plants of various species. They all look very similar. Those that have the real L. williamsii don't usually advertise that they do. They also will intentionally mislabel it in their collection. Not too many cacti hobbyists grow it for use, but they grow it for show and beauty.

/me scans the collection for Euphorbia obesa.

From that distance twould have to be a pretty dang big obesa to be visible. LOL

Lovely Echinopsis blooms!

I know a couple folks with L. williamsii in their collections. Lovely little buggers. As Jerry mentioned, those individuals I know do not advertise that they have such as all you need is some *** breaking into one's greenhouse or home with the intention of getting high.

Last edited:
Back