What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max's Travels

Pings at Mt. Rainier

Along a much-traveled road in Mt. Rainier National Park, clinging to a canyon wall grows Pinguicula vulgaris,* unseen by almost all who drive by. The stone wall drips with moisture supplied by the melting snows from the high country up above.

P6198175.jpg

P6198178.jpg

P6198176.jpg

The flowers droop due to the constant flow of water running off of them.

P6198178%20-%20Copy.jpg

P6198184.jpg

* This species i.d. is supplied by two different local plant field guides though there might be an argument to be made that the species is really P. macroceras. Oddly, USDA Plants.gov's distribution map shows P. vulgaris only dropping to the US-Canada border and not into Washington State. I believe there have been disputes over these two species in the past.

Very cool. Did it just rain recently or is the habitat always that wet?

I think you're going to have to take me up there sometime...

Interesting. The blooms of the P. vulgaris in my parts are just a slightly darker shade of purple. It could be the lighting in the photo though I suppose.

wow. awesome photos and thanks for sharing. also thanks for making me aware of my ignorance between P. vulgaris and P. macroceras.

Very cool. Did it just rain recently or is the habitat always that wet?

It is literally running with water right now. I'm not sure if it will dry somewhat or even completely as the season progresses.

Interesting. The blooms of the P. vulgaris in my parts are just a slightly darker shade of purple. It could be the lighting in the photo though I suppose.

To my eye the flash caught the colors pretty close to reality. If anything the flowers looked a bit lighter and maybe more on the side of blue.

To my eye the flash caught the colors pretty close to reality. If anything the flowers looked a bit lighter and maybe more on the side of blue.

Interesting. . . the flowers here are definitely darker. The plants you found seem to be have lighter colored blooms.

Awesome Max! Being a person in a tropical country, I'm always drawn to the 'minty' and 'fragrant' feels of the great temperate mountains and valleys. I hope someday I get to see places like this, Bhutan comes to mind for me.

Well, it appears that another photo thread has bitten the dust! Unless Photobucket reconsiders soon I will close out my account and at least remove those obnoxious notices where my photos are supposed to be. Six years of posts flushed away.

Well, it appears that another photo thread has bitten the dust! Unless Photobucket reconsiders soon I will close out my account and at least remove those obnoxious notices where my photos are supposed to be. Six years of posts flushed away.

Yep it's all gone. I haven't even been able to view your pics on the Photobucket website - I get the same no hotlinking image! I was trying to find a pic from the meet 2 years ago but it's not accessible.

Reborn. More autumn at Mt. Rainier National Park

With the advent of a way around the Photobucket block I am continuing this thread. (See here: https://www.terraforums.com/forums/general-discussions/142603-photos-2.html#post1210811) Here are some photos I took this year in Sept. Hope you enjoy. :)

mini_P9278696.jpg

The summit from Steven's Canyon on a cool fall morning.

mini_P9278701.jpg

mini_P9278711.jpg

Across the canyon, Unicorn Peak in the Tatoosh Range.

mini_P9278714.jpg

mini_P9278734.jpg

mini_P9278744.jpg

Looking down through the Paradise meadows to the Paradise Inn.

mini_P9278746.jpg

Hard-working Park Service restoration crew.

mini_P9278755.jpg

mini_PA048758.jpg

mini_PA048764.jpg

mini_PA048786.jpg

The upper valley of the Paradise River.

mini_PA048792.jpg

Mountain ash.

mini_PA048795.jpg

mini_PA048798.jpg

The crew heads back at the end of the day.

mini_PA048799.jpg

mini_PA048802.jpg

The Tatoosh Range above Mazama Ridge.

mini_PA048811.jpg

Nice fall colors there!

Thanks! Kind of you to say.

Breathtaking scenery! I love the fall colors. Thanks for posting these beautiful photos. I've got to get up there sometime.

Darlingtonias in N. California and S. Oregon

On my way back from the 2018 ICPS Convention I decided to see what I could find in the Darlingtonia country of the northern Siskiyou Mountains. There were fires burning nearby and to the south of my route which certainly lent a feeling of tension to the trip. There are many other sites in these areas, as those who went on the ICPS Convention field trip know, but these are those you can find simply by reading the road signs. Not a bad payoff for very little research. The first site I visited was in the area of the town of Gasquet in northern California.

P8069050s.jpg

P8069052s.jpg

P8069055s.jpg

P8069051s.jpg

Heading further north on highway 199 in southern Oregon near the town of Cave Junction you will begin to see signs for "Eight Dollar Mountain Botanical Area". You can follow the signs to the small parking area and on foot from there follow the short trail to the boardwalk that takes you out to the open meadow and the views of the Darlingtonias.

P8069056s.jpg

P8069057s.jpg

P8069058s.jpg

P8069059s.jpg

P8069062s.jpg

P8069063s.jpg

P8069065s.jpg

P8069067s.jpg

P8069069s.jpg

P8069073s.jpg

P8069078s.jpg

P8069079s.jpg

A rich payoff for a detour along a fun to drive mountain road. I intend to return and do some actual searching for those sites that I know must be there a bit further along the beaten path. 7350

:bigthumpup: Nice pics Mark! An excellent way to wrap up a wonderful conference trip, eh?

Did you make it up to Days Gulch at Eight Dollar Mountain? I hear that area got burned over a week after the conference but that the Days Gulch Darlingtonia area was spared. The fire was pretty close when I was there with the conference field trip party and they closed the road later that day.

Did you make it up to Days Gulch at Eight Dollar Mountain? I hear that area got burned over a week after the conference but that the Days Gulch Darlingtonia area was spared. The fire was pretty close when I was there with the conference field trip party and they closed the road later that day.

Thanks, Dj! I didn't make it to Days Gulch but hearing about that now increases my desire to go back. I would love to make an actual dedicated trip just to see cobras while camping in the area. 'Sounds like there is a lot more to see around Gasquet as well. That will have to happen another season, but it does need to happen!

What a great thread, the photos are absolutely beautiful!

Thank you, Andrew!

The images are so so beautiful. I've never seen such wild patches! This is definitely on my list for 2019. Many thanks!

Back