What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max's Travels

so picturesque ,and quality pics:-D

No CPs? Just kidding, it looks like an incredible place, judging from the view in your first picture. The soil looks pretty dry, though. It almost looks like there is a fjord in the first picture.

I'm always looking for them! The Columbia River is very fjord-like here but it's all fresh water.

That's great, Mark. You saw Scott there the same day? That's a pretty wild coincidence!

We were both pretty surprised!

so picturesque ,and quality pics:-D

Thanks, corky. :)

It was great seeing you up there Mark! Such a surprise. Wasn't the weather perfect?

So great of you to include the names of those flowers. We were wondering what they were. Any chance you could id these two for us?

IMG_8344_zps5109094d.jpg

IMG_8340_zpsec664e16.jpg

IMG_8342_zps91504bda.jpg

(the 8 on this one is the most we saw on any stalk. started appearing as single, then double. eventually this)

The first one is Calypso bulbosa the "Fairy Slipper", a native orchid. The second one looks like a Fritillaria of some kind. Great shots and awesome finds guys !

It was great seeing you up there Mark! Such a surprise. Wasn't the weather perfect?

So great of you to include the names of those flowers. We were wondering what they were. Any chance you could id these two for us?

The first one is Calypso bulbosa the "Fairy Slipper", a native orchid. The second one looks like a Fritillaria of some kind. Great shots and awesome finds guys !
[MENTION=8718]Jawn[/MENTION] - it was fun seeing you there. The weather was awesome. 'Cool of you to photograph and include the flower shots. I think that is as many of the Calypso orchids as I have ever seen at one time.
[MENTION=8221]Cthulhu138[/MENTION] - I completely agree. The second is commonly known as the chocolate lily, Fritillaria lanceolata. There were also Fritillaria camchatcensis, the black lily but they didn't have open flowers yet.

Last edited:
Wow that was quick! Thanks guys! We saw a cluster of 8 or 9 of the fairly slipper orchid at about 1000' on the augsperger trail - the most we had seen in one place over the entire hike - but the pictures came out kind of blurry.

Mark, are you heading back up there for the peak bloom?

S. Oregon coast and the Darlingtonia Wayside

I have often wanted to see the Northern California and southern Oregon coasts so when I got the chance to return home that way recently I went for it. In addition to just enjoying the beauty of this section of US Highway 101 I also hoped to stop at and photograph the amazing Darlingtonia Wayside near Florence, Oregon.

P5316258.jpg

P5316264.jpg

P5316273.jpg

I arrived at the Wayside a short time before dark so I was reduced to taking wide-angle and flash shots. I apologize for the lack of close-ups. I would like to return in maybe August when the new pitchers are mature and early enough in the day to have more direct light. In this season the new pitchers are mostly still forming though there were many flowers.

P5316326.jpg

P5316279.jpg

P5316284.jpg

P5316288.jpg

P5316296.jpg

P5316299.jpg

P5316309.jpg

P5316313.jpg

P5316316.jpg

P5316324.jpg

I am by no means the first to post photos of this site on Terra Forums. If you wish to see more you might try doing a search for "Florence".

Great spring time shots ! I have indeed seen many photos of this site but I can't say that I'm tired of looking at them !

great in situ pics Mark,thanks for sharing

No close-ups of the Sphagnum? Come on, Mark! ;)

This reminds me that the time has come for a trip down to the Siskiyous..

Great pics Mark! Now you have to go down to the wayside later when they are in full bloom and those new pitchers inflated, haha.

This reminds me that the time has come for a trip down to the Siskiyous..

I just drove right through the Siskiyous/Grants Pass, but did not have time to stop and explore the Darlingtonia fields again. We definitely need to arrange a group trip down there.

Thank you for your kind comments, good people. :) I'm glad you enjoyed.

A trip to the Siskiyous in summer - that would be very cool. :banana2:

Last edited:
Mount Rainier National Park, summer & fall 2015

This one's a bit after the fact but just the same I hope you enjoy.

P6096742.jpg

Shooting stars, probably Dodecatheon jeffreyi.

P6096746.jpg

P6096743.jpg

P7226821.jpg

Van Trump Creek roars through its narrow channel in the rock.

P6096747.jpg

Comet Falls.

P6166777.jpg

The Paradise visitor's center.

P6166786.jpg

The meadows of Paradise.

P6166790.jpg

P6166792.jpg

Erythronium montanum, the avalanche lily.

P8066834.jpg

Drosera rotundifolia. There are carnivores in the park but you have to look very diligently indeed!

P8066839.jpg

P8066842.jpg

P8066851.jpg

P9136883.jpg

Steven's Canyon in early autumn.

P9136889.jpg

P9136895.jpg

Little Tahoma peak.

P9136900.jpg

The canyon road and flame-colored vine maple, Acer circinatum.

P9136902.jpg

Last edited:
Some great shots of your "work space," ha. I especially like the waterfall pics. Nice to see you found some rotundifolia up there.

Some great shots of your "work space," ha. I especially like the waterfall pics. Nice to see you found some rotundifolia up there.

'Glad you liked them DJ. The D. rotundifolia literally took me years to find, and then it was a coworker who actually spotted them!

Last edited:
Awesome pics of an awesome place. The wildflowers are on point

Thank you, Dex! 'Glad you enjoyed.

Back