What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madagascariensis

I just bought one today at a local nursery and was wondering if there are any suggestions and/or horror stories from owners of this plant. I will repot it very soon (LFS and bark sound okay for a little plant?) and would like to know who has one and what I should expect.

I know they're lowland so it is residing in the tank. How finicky are they?

Hi ilbasso -

I had grown some from ICPS seed. Most got to a certain size where the pitchers were about 1 inch tall, and then the plants just struggled and died. I have 3 that are about that size left.

2 are in my basement with the other highlanders - one in a tank, one not. The other is in my outdoor mini greenhouse in a mostly shady area. They seem to do better for me on the drier side.

Good Luck with them!!

So they're highlanders? I was told lowland.

You were told lowland because they are.

I have recently heard some people saying highland...this is FALSE. This species NEEDS constant high temperatures, hands down.
I can see someone confusing intermediate/highland, but true lowland to highland? Come on now...

Odd...I decided to do some reading from the Savage Garden and it is listed as highland. That is probably the source of the confusion. I'm sticking with lowland conditions for now and monitoring it since most seem to lean towards lowland.

I think the Savage Garden is ready for the next edition. No D. graminifolia, many popular Sarr cultivars...much has happened since that publication.

I just always stick towards what people say who have actually flowered the species. Steve Stewart has/had a HUGE one (well as big as it will get pretty much), and he says they love it hot, so I'll go with what he says. The savage garden is great, don't get me wrong, but like any book it has errors and times have changed. Barry's book says windowsill growing is "for experts", but I would certainly argue the contrary.

I received 10 N. madagascariensis seeds from a guy in Canada, and only 1 sprouted. I keep it in lowland tank next to other heat/humidity loving plants (Bicalcarata, Falconeri, Burmannii sprouts) and it is doing excellent. This is a true lowland nep. It's very easy to grow and was the first nepenthes ever discovered ;) .

Jeff,

The reason only one of those seeds sprouted is because the seeds that guy has are pretty old. He's had them since last summer at least...

How large can I expect this plant to get (assuming I don't kill it)? They aren't very large, correct?

No, they are not very large in terms of diameter, but they will get very long. I think it was Steve Stewart who had one that went all the way up to the top of his greenhouse. A ladder was necessary to get to the flower.

I don't think these things get more than 6" or so across tho...definitely no more than 8". Sorry I can't provide you with exact dimensions.

If its the TC clone that everyone has...don't feel bad if you kill it. It's a weak clone and I don't know of anyone who's had it and hasn't killed at least one. Well I didn't kill mine...someone killed it for me when I was on vacation in Germany haha.

Back