What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Time

• Thread starter LotharZogg
  • Start date
Hey everyone,

I just recently got back into the hobby. I was around last in the days of the CP email Listserv and Webring. In the early 2000's life happened and I sold off my collection before a move. Anyhow, earlier this year I decided to plant a fruit garden in my backyard (mostly melons and banana trees) and thought maybe I'll get some carnivorous plants as "pest control." Not sure how effective it may actually be, but seemed like it was kind of a "novel idea", so I gave it a try. Two months later the carnivorous plants outnumbered those in which they were intended to protect... I always new this long dormant hobby of mine was due to resurface at some point and it has come back in full force! Glad to be back!

Last edited:
Welcome! Where are you that you can grow banana trees??

hah funny how that happens! Please share any photos you have of the CPs and I personally would also love to see your melon patch and banana trees!

I live in Virginia. They actually grow really well here, as long as they are properly winterized. I have few neighbors with them as well and the local nurseries even started selling the standard variety the past few years. I have the blue-java variety that produces bananas that supposedly taste like vanilla ice cream and are bright blue, prior to ripening. I'll upload some pics when I have some sizeable melons to show off!

yes we want to see the big melons :p i am growing watermelon this year (attempting) alongside my cucumbers up here in MA. most times squirrels chew into them long before they get big

I grew cucumbers once, and they took over my entire garden, never again, ha.

Back