What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lonely Dustin

Here ya go bud.. The plants miss you too
smile_m_32.gif

The N. veitchii you wanted to see
Nveitchiibareo.jpg

For anyone that is curious...

This is a Malesiana Bareo highlands clone. Uh I didnt take measurements. It is in one of them 12"? square pond baskets so I guess the plant is about 20" across with the pitcher in the photo about 9" tall

T

Hi Tony:

Very interesting colour. I was under the false impression that only the lowland veitchii plants had that golden/brown peristome and the highlanders had the striped peristome. If i am not mistaken the Bareo from MT (according to Chien's photo has a striped peristome. Could this be genetic variability within a population of plants?

Gus

Hi Gus,

I can't say too much about the Bareo plants from Malesiana as I didn't end up keeping any and most sold while still fairly small. From past experience Malesiana can have many different clones in their 'mix'. N. veitchii however takes it's sweet time to show it's true colors. The plants really need to be quite mature and a large size to give their best show.

I suspect that N. veitchii is just plain variable throughout it's range. I normally think of the lowland form as having a yellow/green pitcher and peristome while the highland is normally a gold color with bronzy overtones. There are examples though within cultivation of pink pitchers, brown peristomes, striped peristomes and every combination inbetween, in both lowland and highland forms. One thing to consider too is when the photo was taken. N. veitchii pitchers can change drastically from when the pitcher first opens to when it finally dries up from old age.

Tony

Oh god..

Thank you Tony, that made my night
smile.gif
Never had the color...well maybe a bronzyish but that is just astounding!

For reasons too implausible to go into, I never really liked veitchiis.

But this one is one beautiful Nepenthes pitcher. I want it. (NINE INCHES TALL?
confused.gif
You SURE?)

i like the striped ones and the dark ones like above...............never cared much for the green/gold ones course that goes for most all nepenthes. i like color on the peristromes, specially if its going to be billboard sized
smile_n_32.gif

I definately want to get one of these.  I personaly like the shape, but the color of that one is outstanding too!

Sheesh.. I was just estimating. BTW it's a 10" square pond basket

Here is a not so fancy photo. Angle is a little off.. I rested the pitcher and the tape measure on the edge of the basket. I dislike flash photos but yet again the weather here is absolutely miserable today.
NveitchiiDustin.jpg

Enjoy..

T

Thats the biggest yet, and they have just increased since I've got it.

I love N. veitchii, esp. this clone and rattlers.

I think they look like they are puffing out their chests, like the chickens from the cartoons of the 30's and 40's.

lol wouldnt call it my clone, atleast a half dozen other ppl have it now..................still kicking myself for not buying another 10 feet worth of vine, that plants been worth its weight in gold
smile_n_32.gif

Back