What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legal importation of seeds into the USA

I jest gave up trying to import plants through USDA
never had problems getting seeds from australia that I purchased on ebay. most were not carnivorous
also bought some carnivorous plant seeds from RSA without any paperwork

I jest gave up trying to import plants through USDA
I haven't had any issues with the inspectors - they've never taken longer than one day and frequently get them out the same day they come in. What issues have you seen?

My issues have all been with the seed-suppliers on the other end - typically due to language issues making communication rough but sometimes just because the suppliers didn't feel like following instructions....

also bought some carnivorous plant seeds from RSA without any paperwork
They will never catch 100% of the illegally imported seeds. However, they will probably find and destroy the special, really expensive, once-in-a-lifetime seeds that you were counting on .....

They will never catch 100% of the illegally imported seeds. However, they will probably find and destroy the special, really expensive, once-in-a-lifetime seeds that you were counting on .....

it always ends up liek that. :/

I basically do everything for the person, I send a copy of my permit, a completed packing slip and a resealable bag with label

My packing slip
(names have been changed to protect the innocent LOL)

free for use if you want

I haven't had any issues with the inspectors - they've never taken longer than one day and frequently get them out the same day they come in. What issues have you seen?
I haven't had any problems with seeds jest plants
USDA seized in excess of $5000 of plants that i attempted to import, while I was in business

LOL! I just tried renewing my account:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to pws.sc.egov.usda.gov, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details

I Understand the Risks

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

I got past that and now I can't get my username and password to match up. I'm awaiting help from their eAuthentication folks.

I just activated an account and submitted permit requests. You can renew permits online.

I'm waiting for them to respond. I'm also a 3 minute drive from my local USDA, if necessary.

i did this too

I just activated an account and submitted permit requests. You can renew permits online.

yup, found it too.... when you go to the create application utility there is an option for "renew"

I was asked if I could send Cephalotus seeds to the USA last year, but I concluded that the paperwork was just not worth the hassle. It's far easier to export seeds to Canada.

I was asked if I could send Cephalotus seeds to the USA last year, but I concluded that the paperwork was just not worth the hassle. It's far easier to export seeds to Canada.
As Av said above, the USA person who has the permit should make it easy on the person sending the seeds. To try & keep things simple, I've gone as far as sending a pre-addressed padded envelope, complete with all paperwork. The sender just needs to place the seeds inside, seal envelope & place postage on it.

Even without doing all that, there should be nothing difficult on the sender's end if the USA person has done things properly.... ??? (imho)

As Av said above, the USA person who has the permit should make it easy on the person sending the seeds. To try & keep things simple, I've gone as far as sending a pre-addressed padded envelope, complete with all paperwork. The sender just needs to place the seeds inside, seal envelope & place postage on it.

Even without doing all that, there should be nothing difficult on the sender's end if the USA person has done things properly.... ??? (imho)
If the person interested did as you do then I would have no issues with sending. For me, having to find out the countries paperwork requirements for a few quids worth of seeds was not worth it.

About 5 years ago when I initiated this permit, all I had to do was mail a copy of the paperwork and the yellow & green stamps to Sheila Little. She did the rest and things went smoothly.

I've sent to the US plenty of times and so long as the Yellow and Green sticker and relevant docs are sent, there are no hassles whatsoever.

I've sent to the US plenty of times and so long as the Yellow and Green sticker and relevant docs are sent, there are no hassles whatsoever.

LOL! We speak the same language... so to speak! Go Bills!

Finally got it renewed:

Permit application type: PPQ 587 Application for Permit to Import Plants and Plant Products
Application number: P587-110608-002
Applicant: Scott Straus
Date/Time submitted: 06/08/11 10:03:59 AM

It took about 5 business days to get a new permit approved via the website. Now I'm waiting for the slips and other paperwork to arrive in the mail.

BTW, my ePermit is now officially updated.

So the paperwork came in Saturday. So about 10 business days from when the ePermit application is submitted to when I got the labels - plus the time for mail delivery. To say 15 days would be reasonable from beginning to end, not including the time needed to get verified in person. Better than the 30 days the website says if you do the process by mail only.

Back