What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Lighting, may be getting my first lights

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Think I'm about to pull the trigger on 2 of these LED lights in the next few days.

Have been using several lights from Current and have liked all the ones I've ever tried.
First lights from Current I still use are Sunpaq lights.
Second lights I use from Current are Nova T5 light.

So I think it's time to give the LED route a shot.
Anyone try these yet?
Don't think I want to go the build your own LED route.

I've never used those LEDs but I've had a few current products and have been happy with them overall, 1 in 6 have failed over about 10 years.

I've been playing around with some of the easier DIY LEDs if your interested there is a ton of info (page 3 starts the LED construction) http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...uild-a-Cephalotus-grow-space-would-love-input! and a little more from a much lower powered one http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...le-Short-Term-LED-Experiment-with-a-few-Cephs.

I've been very impressed with the results so far but its only been under 1 month.

I did see both threads.
The tank I'm coveting for more CP's, will eventually become a planted freshwater tank again using those lights. That's why I'm not overly interested in building any LED systems yet.

I can't speak to LEDs, but I bought three sets of 4 T5s for about $50 a fixture, and they are fantastic. The plants love them far more than older technologies. If I were you, I'd price things out, keeping in mind LEDs should fall in price dramatically over the next 5 years.

I can't speak to LEDs, but I bought three sets of 4 T5s for about $50 a fixture, and they are fantastic. The plants love them far more than older technologies. If I were you, I'd price things out, keeping in mind LEDs should fall in price dramatically over the next 5 years.

Are you saying you bought 12 t5 fixtures or 3 4 bulb fixtures? If they are 4 bulb fixtures could you share a link?

If your talking about price, remember that T5 bulbs are recommended to be changed once a year.
1 fixture with 4 bulbs that may cost around $7.00 a piece is $28 dollars a year.
The LED fixture I have is rated for 10 years.
You'll spend $280 dollars in bulbs for the same life of the LED fixture at $103.00
Just a thought. One thing I dislike about my Sunpaqs. It's about $25.00 for a new bulb....

Anyway I bought 2 of the LED fixtures I linked in the first post. Man these lights are sleek looking.
Just have to sell the Leo's in the tank I'm going to convert to a heli tank.

LEDs are definitely a pay now save later item.

I tend to use my T5s until they burn out and when I replace them my plants go into a bit a of a mini fit due to the huge increase of light a new bulb brings. I'm a huge fan of T5s but playing with LEDs this last month I'm not sure if I will ever buy another T5 fixture. Only time will tell how well the LEDs hold there intensity over the years.

If you could snap a photo of the plants when you move them in and in say 6 month post a "now and then" thing it would be helpful. There is so little good information about actual LED usage out there.

I created a thread regarding this early in the year, and so far the results have been positive. I use them in conjunction with T5s, which I alternate during different times of the days. The most notable improvement was the internodal growth that occurred shortly after the introduction of the LED strip (red and blue at 2:1). I have several vines at the moment, so I decided to replace any "red" T5 bulbs with all 6500k (I want small, stocky plants).

The benefits of LEDs alone, I can't comment on. I do, however, still possess a few meters of the strip left, which I plan to utilize once I've established a larger area for the plants, via a grow tent or whatever.

Let us know how it goes!

Back