What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

learning chinese

• Thread starter 7santiago
  • Start date
Im learning chinese, but its really hard so far! Has anyone tried to do this, any website suggestions?

shie shie

Get Rosettastone. It's awesome.

its $300s !!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

im sorry, I gues you dont reallly wanna learn! But I could understand why you would want to learn it I watched that discovery channel thing about CHina

I use rosetta. It's the best, way better than books.

I learnt Chinese all through elementary school, but don't remember much, but my Asian friends help!
smile.gif

Ni hao. Wo de gou shi da! Yay! (No, I don't have a dog
smile_h_32.gif
)

It would be written xie xie, I think, I took pinyin, so I guess I'd know. The tone marks suck though, pronounciation is hard!

-Ben

Ok ill bid on it on ebay, yah that discovery atlas thingy was AMAZING, and it made me realize that when im all old and wrinkly china will be the leader and most powerfull country. Also i really hope that chinese girl gets the olympic gold!

"china will be the leader and most powerfull country"

I was about to say ok, whatever. Then I realized I should stop being arrogant and watch it sometime.

I'm not patriotic but i've got a kind of "Our country is better than yours!" attitude.

I was about to talk without thinking; I really don't care once I'm dead.

They have Citys The Size, and 3-4 times the size of NY! Even then They have Milllinos of people as work force... dont underestamate them, the asians are right up behind us..

Yeah.. but most of them are so poor man. Not to mention they are so overpopulated AND communist.

NY is an island, it can only get so big
smile.gif

I thought the commercial was funny. The guy is like "I'll show you the REAL china" Then proceeds us how he wants to use his kung-fu skills in order to one day join the army. Come on.

Good luck, when I was learning Japanese I used an audio learning set that was AWSOME but I can't think of the name right now. It was at the library so I paid nothing for it. I wish I could think of the name but it was sooooo good. I learned to speak Japanese in less than 6 months with very little accent.

My Step mom is Japanese, so is my step brother and sisters, My dad knows it really well, I hope to learn it some day, But I want to learn latin first.

JAPANESE!< another one on my i wish to learn list

hmmm....

spanish-sheck
esperanto-check
french-im working on it
italian- almost done
mandarin/chinese- soon
japanese-soon
austrailian- too hard
biggrin.gif

When I got shipped to Bolivia (Beautiful country but i will never forgive them for shooting Butch and Sundance.) and needed to learn Spanish, I started dating a local girl.  Worked out great.

Now THAT's the way to study!
laugh.gif

I studied Latin in High School, French in college and then ASL on my own.

Latin is very useful. I'd love to be able to speak French fluently but unless it comes via osmosis, that's not gonna happen. And I might be brushing up on my ASL soon.

laugh.gif
 I ought to show this thread to my chinese students who are adversed towards learning their Mandarin and who prefer to converse in English the whole time.

Is english a common language in Singapore? You'd think they'd want to speak in chinese over english.

JLAP, English is first language and Chinese/Hindi/Malay/Tamil are considered as second language or mother tongue by schools. But 80% of the students come from English-speaking homes. Mother tongue has become English and no longer the rest of the languages.

I am considered the "older" generation by my students because I am fluent in both Mandarin, English and the dialects. On the other hand, my dad (educated in a chinese school) thinks I suck at Mandarin!
laugh.gif

WOW! I had no idea English was the first language of singapore.

Back