What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Cutting Q

So i just took 3 leaf cuttings from my new bigmouth vft. :boogie: they were from leaves without traps so it won't hurt the plant at all (i hope). Anyways, I have them in a rasberry container with an inch of 50/50 mixture of milled sphagnum moss and perlite. about 2 inches above the lid of the container I have a 45 W compact flourescent light bulb that will be on for 18 hours a day. Is this a good set up or do i need more light??

Plenty of light. I did something similar here.
Good luck, you should be fine.

Yep, sounds like you got everything set up right. As long as the pullings stay green, you should start seeing new growth in 3 to 4 weeks at the soonest. It's pretty amazing how long it takes.

Post some pics when you get results.

Alright cool it will be pretty amazing if i pull this off and i'll get some pics on in about 4 weeks (fingers crossed) :banana2:

I've been putting leaves in swampy, live LFS, either at a SW window sill or under artificial lighting. Not all leaves sprout but I do get clusters of plantlets.

I have had amazing success with leaf cuttings. ALmost a 100% strike rate. Just lay it on the standard VFT mix in the same exact conditions such as adult ones. Within a month or so...it starts growing and then later on after a few months it starts growing almost adult traps. :)

haha sweet!! Sure beats forking out the dough for a whole new plant. But one more question, should I keep the soil damp or wet and is a 23 hour photoperiod with a 42W compact flourescent 6 inches away from the plant enough

...one more question, should I keep the soil damp or wet and is a 23 hour photoperiod with a 42W compact flourescent 6 inches away from the plant enough

You don't need that long of a photoperiod. I have mine under fluorescents for a 16 hour photoperiod. I too have almost a 100% strike rate. It's amazing how prolific those little leaf pullings are. And, like Jim Scott said, most of them form multiple plantlets!

My leaves have been in the soil for about a week now and they have almost all turned black!!! There is still white at the very base of the leaf where it attaches to the rhizome and I'm keeping the soil wet, like so wet that you could take a handful of soil and squeeze water out of it. Is this ok or are my chances of leaf cuttings dead??? any help would be appreciated.

Back