What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance leaf sundew Problems

Hi - my D. Adelae is thriving in pure LFS under grow lights and the leaves have lots of dew. I keep it really wet. Just got a red variety, put it in LFS, and it seems to be happy too. I live in an apartment in L.A., and it gets pretty warm, but I do my best to keep the humidity up.

I heard that the leaves will get a lot bigger if the light is kept low, so I tested it and found it to be true. Under lower light, the leaves got really big - and green. Even the dew was clear. When I increased the light, the leaves got a little more color and the dew got those red spots in the middle again.

I'm not an expert, but I think 100% peat might be too dense for the roots to travel and produce offshoots.

so when should it have sun and when shouldnt it have sun cause I have it that it gets sunlight from like 9 am to 5 pm

so when should it have sun and when shouldnt it have sun cause I have it that it gets sunlight from like 9 am to 5 pm

That's too much Sun IMO. Very early morning or very late afternoon Sun is fine. Mid day Sun is a no no. BRIGHT light but NO DIRECT SUN is perfect.

Tom

ok thats a lot, so would 3-6 pm sun be enough? and then flourscant lights from like 7-11

ok thats a lot, so would 3-6 pm sun be enough? and then flourscant lights from like 7-11

They really don't need ANY Sun, just BRIGHT, defuse light. Put them in a Sunny window with a shear curtain in front of it and you're done. That's it.

Tom

would you consider 3-6:30 pm late afternoon sun cause thats the main sun its getting outside right now. Inside, its get sun from a window from 9 am-3pm

EDIT: Out of the 3 new leaves its producing, the tip of the oldest one is turned a brownish color, looks like its burned but the other 2 new leaves are still very green. Should I keep with the same dosage of sun or is it too much?

would you consider 3-6:30 pm late afternoon sun cause thats the main sun its getting outside right now. Inside, its get sun from a window from 9 am-3pm

EDIT: Out of the 3 new leaves its producing, the tip of the oldest one is turned a brownish color, looks like its burned but the other 2 new leaves are still very green. Should I keep with the same dosage of sun or is it too much?

I'd say move them out of direct Sunlight. I'm by no means an expert yet on these but I find bright, indirect sunlight to be ideal.

Tom

Not to confuse you, but they really aren't picky plants. Mine have done well on south facing window sills as well as under a shoplight, with 15 hour photoperiod. What 'Laura' said is also valid. Light for this plant isn't nearly as critical as would be for a VFT or Sarracenia or Petiolaris Complex. Anything should be fine, but once you choose a staging, it is best to leave it there, unless something drastically goes wrong.

Back