What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got a gift....

upper

Capensis Killer
From my friend, a Sarracenia Purpurea, a Sarracenia Leucophylla, and a Darlingtonia californica.... SEEDS!!!
now i have a seed starter(jiffy) the one with the heat pad, water circulation, and 100Watts(23 watts) compact flourescent light table lamp(those clip on one :-O ) anyways, how do i do this? can i do what it says in the guide in the sticky? darlingtonia's different..... what should i do? i heard purpurea have very low germination rate, is this true? can anyone help me?:0o:

so can i stick moist pure canadian sphagnum peat in a small ziploc bag and dump the seed around the sphagnum peat moss, and put it in the humidity retainer in my fridge?

If you're going to stratify them in bags only peat moss is probably the worst thing to use. It's very difficult to control the amount of dampness in peat, its difficult to see the seeds etc. A few pinches of chopped live Sphagnum or LFS are best. Or in a folded of paper towel.

If you want to use peat moss it's probably best just to put some in a pot or a small cup, wet it and press out much of the water to the point where you have to press down lightly to get any water out. Sprinkle your seeds on top, mist lightly and bag the pot/cup.

i'll do the folded paper towel, but can i sow it on peat after the stratification?
i cant get any live sphagnum.
is this good, s.purpurea,s.leucophylla seed in a damp paper towel(downy) fold the towel in half(to cover the seed). stick in fridge for 4 week, take it out and put it on pure peat and maybe alittle perlite. 24/7 lighting on heat pad in a mini terrarium dome(very little air circulation....)same thing for cobralily but 6 week instead of 4....

Some people moisten a paper towel and place the seeds inside and then the fridge for ~6 weeks. Some do that and apply a fungicide. One of our moderators puts the seeds in water and turns it into a seedsicle. I had success by placing seeds in a sealed cebtrifuge tube of water and keeping them in my cold attic. This year I have them in bubblegum containers in the fridge. The bottom line is cold and wet for about a month and a half.

i just put it on moist paper towel, and stick em in a plastic food container that my mom doesnt use anymore, and stick it in the humidity control crisper on the bottom of the fridge. now i gotta wait 4-6 more week... yay,

umm, germination, i got a pure peat, seed starter with heat pad, and i can leave light on 24/7... so that's about it..... i can keep humidity high, i think i'm set, but why do i have to read about seedlings? dont you care for em the same way as the post in the sticky?
i'm still not sure about darlingtonia tho

umm, germination, i got a pure peat, seed starter with heat pad, and i can leave light on 24/7... so that's about it..... i can keep humidity high, i think i'm set, but why do i have to read about seedlings? dont you care for em the same way as the post in the sticky?
i'm still not sure about darlingtonia tho

I was just making a joke about playing the waiting game (4 - 6 weeks of waiting).

xvart.

I have used damp paper towels with success. Easy to collect the seeds to sow when they are ready.

upper -

I have generated a web page dedicated to this topic. You might check it out if you like at http://www.houstonherp.com/SeedStratificationGuide.htm.

The paper towel method works very well for me; and I've had some batches of S. purpurea seed have a 100% germination rate! The real trick is to get them hardened off once they germinate!

Hope this helps. Good Growing!

Regards,

Mike

Thankyou to everyone that helps me. i really appreciate it.

Back