What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this ok for a terrarium?

I set up a terrarium a week ago, and I wanted to know if these conditions would be right for N. x Judith Finn, U. sandersonii, U. livida, D. capensis, and D. spatulata. Ok, well, it's a 10 gal. tank, and it has 56 watts of light shining down on it. The back and sides are covered with tin foil, and I leave a couple of inches of air space at the top. The humidity level stays at around 45-65% in the day, while increasing to around 75-80% at night. The temp stays at 80 degrees Fahrenheit in the day, while 70 degrees Fahrenheit in the night. I also leave the lights on for 15 hours every day. Is this ok? Or does it REALLY need more light?

I think that 56 watts should be enough if you are using compact fluorescents. More light wouldn't be a bad thing, and will help your plants be more colorful. I use this with 2 42 Watt compact fluorescents and my plants are doing great.

http://www.petsmart.com/global....1144484

The humidity sounds fine for all of your plants. Hope this helps.

dewy

I use two 15 watt tubes, and one 26 watt compact.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 13 2005,12:51)]I use two 15 watt tubes, and one 26 watt compact.
I might would add another 26 watt compact as compact fluorescents tend to "push" the light down farther to the plants. Drosera capensis and Drosera spatulata like alot of light to grow well and flower, while utricularia are not as picky about light. You could also use something to raise your D.capensis and D.spatulata closer to the lights. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
dewy

I think now that I will go buy the fixture you have, put in two 26 watts, and keep my two 15 watts, for a total of 82 watts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 13 2005,2:12)]I think now that I will go buy the fixture you have, put in two 26 watts, and keep my two 15 watts, for a total of 82 watts.
Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. Also, to reflect more light, you might want to buy one of those shiny emergency blankets from Walmart. They are cheap and reflect alot more light than normal tin foil.
dewy

Then again, I couldn't find a fixture that would hold two 15 watts tubes, so I may have to go with two 15 watt compacts.....( my old fixture for tubes is really old and stuff) Does anyone know where I might buy a fixture that can hold two 15 watts? We already tried Lowes...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 13 2005,8:17)]Then again, I couldn't find a fixture that would hold two 15 watts tubes, so I may have to go with two 15 watt compacts.....( my old fixture for tubes is really old and stuff)  Does anyone know where I might buy a fixture that can hold two 15 watts?  We already tried Lowes...
The most inexpensive and hassle free way for me is the below. I have one of these on my 10gallon  terrarium and I plan to do another one just like it this spring.
The best way is to buy this
http://www.petsmart.com/global....1144484

and to put 2 of these in the above fixture.
http://www.topbulb.com/find....F_E_131

All the plants you listed are relatively hardy and should do well in those conditions.

Back