What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this light bulb suitable for growing CPs?

Want to try this bulb for growing CPs especially some plantlets or geminate seeds (maybe in the near future I will build up an indoor Lowland terra):

Feit Electric ESL40TN/D 42-Watt Compact Fluorescent High-Wattage Bulb, Daylight

(You can type the name on the Amazon.com to see details)

It is equivalent to 200 w. At the distance of 6 inch, the light density is about 12000 lumens (measured by my meter).

It's my first time to use light bulb. So I very need suggestions from all of you. Thanks.

ive had that exact bulb for about 4 months and just ordered 2 more last month. seem to be working pretty well for me.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

they put out a bit of heat tho, especially at 6 inches away.

Thank you. I'm happy to know that this bulb works well for you.

What's the distance between the bulb and the plants in your terra?

Hi
I have used these bulbs for a few years now.
Not as nice as some T-5's, but a nice bulb, not too expensive, fits in a standard socket and readily available. Lots of advantages there.

It has worked well for me with very good results.
The BEST advice I can give you....
For this bulb.... and ANY new light/Bulb!
....try it out!

Watch the heat it gives off....!
Start with a distance and then move it closer if your plants need coloring up or show signs of needing more light. Better to start with a distance and move closer, than to cook and kill your plants!

MAKE CHANGES SLOWLY AND GENTLY!!!!

Learn from your experiences with your plants, and make changes slowly so you don't lose them in the process! :nono:
THAT is the way to learn what YOU need to do... because your conditions are slightly (or greatly) different than mine or anyone elses, and what works perfectly for others may NOT work perfectly for you! Accept and understand that fact, as you will become a better grower and more knowledgeable than you imagine! :banana2:

Good Luck!
:water:

Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, I agree. In the CP world, different people may have totally different growing methods. This is very interesting :)

Hi
I have used these bulbs for a few years now.
Not as nice as some T-5's, but a nice bulb, not too expensive, fits in a standard socket and readily available. Lots of advantages there.

It has worked well for me with very good results.
The BEST advice I can give you....
For this bulb.... and ANY new light/Bulb!
....try it out!

Watch the heat it gives off....!
Start with a distance and then move it closer if your plants need coloring up or show signs of needing more light. Better to start with a distance and move closer, than to cook and kill your plants!

MAKE CHANGES SLOWLY AND GENTLY!!!!

Learn from your experiences with your plants, and make changes slowly so you don't lose them in the process! :nono:
THAT is the way to learn what YOU need to do... because your conditions are slightly (or greatly) different than mine or anyone elses, and what works perfectly for others may NOT work perfectly for you! Accept and understand that fact, as you will become a better grower and more knowledgeable than you imagine! :banana2:

Good Luck!
:water:

sorry for asking irrelevant question here, i was wondering why my N.albomarginata leaf will turn yellow? i pot it with pure sphagnum moss, i live in Malaysia, a very hot country, and recently, i had acquired a N.hirsuta x spatulata, but it leaf starting to black on the middle of the leaf, the stem remain fine, but the black spot seems spreading and the wounds(where i cut the pitcher after it's black spot is spreading, i think is due to sunburnt) too show the same thing, i was providing it with lowland condition,and bright light condition, and pot them with pure sphagnum moss, what should i do now?

by the way, how is consider sunburnt, overlighting, too wet or too humid? do anyone got picture to show me?sorry for asking that much questions,thanks

allen

@Zhilin i have mine about 5 inches from my plants with glass seperating the 3 bulbs from the plants so that it lessens the amount of heat thats being displaced into the terra. if you get a few of them and just get a y socket you can increase the amount of cfls you can use with minimal space/outlets.

Back