What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this D. helodes?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have a pot of D. miniata and I know that I am to expect orange flowers. but out of all the plants in that pot, the only plant that is inclined to flower is this one:

100_8957.jpg

I am far from an expert in identifying plants, but this looks suspiciously like a D. helodes. Can anyone confirm that? The D. miniata plants are all smaller than this plant.

You can find many photographs for comparison, here. Of course there is no certainty that the photographs are accurately identified, but, they very well may be.

Last edited:
Here are photos of mine:
P1140009.jpg

PA090007.jpg

P5010074.jpg

P3060033.jpg

You can find many photographs for comparison, here. Of course there is no certainty that the photographs are accurately identified, but, they very well may be.

< spelling nazi > It should be "photos" and not "photo's" because the latter is possessive vs the former which is plural. < /spelling nazi >

Last edited by a moderator:
Lighten up a bit there, I've yet to see Joseph correct common spelling, grammar or typographical errors. There is a big difference when it comes to scientific names and nomenclature where correct spelling is all important. Imagine what harm could happen if a pharmacist didn't spend the time to learn to classify, spell and label their drugs and chemicals properly.

Lighten up a bit there, I've yet to see Joseph correct common spelling, grammar or typographical errors. There is a big difference when it comes to scientific names and nomenclature where correct spelling is all important. Imagine what harm could happen if a pharmacist didn't spend the time to learn to classify, spell and label their drugs and chemicals properly.

This absolutely isn't because Joseph has been helping to correct people's nomenclature - just ask Av8tor1 about how I massacred his PMs into better form :-)) I actually appreciate him going through and patiently fixing everything that I'm writing incorrectly because clear near nobody knows the right answer. I also remember the seemingly insurmountable wall of shortened names and slang people used in this forum when I first started out so that I couldn't read through anything. He's helping us all with his strengths in writing out plant names.

I completely agree and disagree with you at the same time though: it's important for the pharmacist to spell properly in order not to kill people, but it's also important for communicating meaning to use proper punctuation and spelling. My astronomy students wanted me to lighten up too and just to correct their Astronomy mistakes, but that just got them a lecture on more grammar :p I'm just helping out with my strengths, especially for non-native English speakers, because one apostrophe really does make a difference.

Okay, I guess it's a D. helodes. Drat!

This is the flower on the plants I bought labeled as D. helodes. As far as I can tell from the photos I found on the Internet and without typing them from Lowrie's descriptions it is D. helodes.
01370005.jpg

There is a big difference when it comes to scientific names and nomenclature where correct spelling is all important. Imagine what harm could happen if a pharmacist didn't spend the time to learn to classify, spell and label their drugs and chemicals properly.

There it is! The comparison has finally been made between carnivorous plants and drugs.

Back