What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Darlingtonia outside here possible?

Are Darlintonia possible to grow outdoors in Florida if I give it ice cold water and/or put ice in the pot (distilled ice water and ice)? I'll research more on it.

Ok, so far, question #1. How cold does night have to be for them?

Last edited:
I used to live in florida, knowing the nights there, it might be a bit too steamy, but i've never grown darlingtonia before.

I used to live in florida, knowing the nights there, it might be a bit too steamy, but i've never grown darlingtonia before.

Yeah, but it might be able to acclimate ???. I somewhat doubt that I can grow them here now. I like them, though.

Yeah, they want it pretty cold.

Even here in Oregon, the nights don't get cold enough on some days during the summer.

Can you believe that? I live a 3 hour drive from Darlingtonia Wayside, and I can't even grow them. :headwall:

Then again, I'm a bit more inland, so that's prolly why.

I'm in NC and my cobra is growing extremly well so far. The nights are not really that cool, probably in the high 60s to mid 70s.
It took a little over a month to fully acclimate (yours will probably be shorter, mine is a death cube surviver) and now a lot of new growth has come up.

I would give it a shot; you could always grow it inside if it doesn't work out outdoors.

good luck!

Darlingtonia tend to like highland conditions. As long as the summer night temps get well below the mid 60sF they'll probably be happy.

If you live in climates that the nights stay warmer than that then people report success in growing these in large, tall pots with a light airy mix and frequent top watering. Pure live Sphagnum is recommended. Dead long fibered sphagnum is not recommended as it tends to break down rapidly (especially the Chilean stuff) from the heat and constantly wet conditions. A 3 or 4 to 1 perlite to peat mix would probably work also. Repotting should be kept to a minimum as root disturbance can put Darlingtonia growth back up to a year.

You can use chilled water or ice cubes (no tap water unless it is CP safe) if you wish. It won't hurt.

The book also recommends growing them inside, on an eastern window sill.

If you live in climates that the nights stay warmer than that then people report success in growing these in large, tall pots with a light airy mix and frequent top watering. Pure live Sphagnum is recommended. Dead long fibered sphagnum is not recommended as it tends to break down rapidly (especially the Chilean stuff) from the heat and constantly wet conditions. Repotting should be kept to a minimum as root disturbance can put Darlingtonia growth back up to a year.

You can use chilled water or ice cubes (no tap water unless it is CP safe) if you wish. It won't hurt.

Not a Number, I have no idea where to get live sphagnum. I only have dead long fibered sphagnum. I don't think it will be in a large pot, but is it possible that putting ice cubes or give ice cold water will help at night? The plants are about 4 years from seeds and will probably be in a 4 inch pot. I have my Sarrs on a wooden stool so my fence won't block as much sunlight, so do you think putting it under it, but enough it will still get plenty of sunlight work?

The book also recommends growing them inside, on an eastern window sill.

Jimscott, if I can't, that'll be my last resort. My window doesn't supply much sunlught though, but I'm sure I'll be able to supply the cold night in here.

I live outside Tampa and tried growing them. They're all dead now. Every single one.

I think it's too hot where I live. Heck, it's in the 90s now, and it's not even summer yet.

Back