What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a cross between D. Capensis and D. Filiformis x tracyi possible?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I won a D. Filiformis x tracyi at the nasc auction and I already own 3 capensis "giant" and I was wondering if a cross between the two is possible. I doubt it is, but I thought that I would ask. If it is possible, how would I care for it? Thanks in advance.

I've attempted a similar cross with filiformis "FL All Red" but have not had success thus far. I ended up with a lot of capensis instead of hybrids, so it may have just been a contamination thing, and I will try again if I get the chance, so we'll see.

Tell me how it goes. My d. capensis are still very young and might not reach flowering size by this season.

The plants probably aren't closely related enough for it to work, but it's always worth a try. Someone more informed than I would have to comment on whether the two plants' chromosome counts are compatible.

I actually did a little research. If I interpreted the charts correctly, d. capensis has 20 chromosomes and d. filiformis has 40. I still want to try though.

I think you got that backwards. D. capensis is tetraploid (4 copies of each chromosome,) 2n=40 and D. filiformis (as well as tracyi) is diploid (2 copies of each chromosome,) 2n=20. In any case, I believe by chromosome count all NA, SA, and ZA species are compatible so it is just a matter of if they are genetically compatible.

Genetics is complicated. This article is incredibly long: International Carnivorous Plant Society - Drosera chromosomes

I thought that I might have gotten them mixed up. Thanks for the article.

Supposedly it should be possible, since capensis can cross with rotundifolia which is not terribly distant from filiformis, but genetics are weird: capensis can cross with aliciae, and aliciae with species like natalensis, but natalensis and capensis are incompatible; may be a similar situation.
I also know capensis can cross with things like sp. Lantau Island, and Lantau can cross with filiformis, but the further jump still unknown.

Back