What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone e-mail

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
Would anyone happen to know why my iPhone quit automatically checking for e-mail? I now have to open the folder to make it go get the new ones.

BTW, TF won't work on the iPhone-it locks up.

thats strange....i dont know why, but maybe your wifi setting are messed up? or you some how turned off automatic email searching or something of the sorts.....
TF works fine on my iPhone....though its not activated, i just use my blackberry ahhahaha.

Do you know what kind of server you're trying to connect to? Not all of them support push-to-client, which is what the iPhone uses by default to appear as though it checks automatically. (It seems unlikely, but if you did a software update or had to go back to factory settings and restore your data from a backup on your computer, it may have bumped you over to the manual setting, or turned on push when your server doesn't support it.)
If you set it to check periodically, you'll get less battery life. It's in Settings, under Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data. (It's right underneath the list of mail/directory/calendar servers.) If you have multiple email addresses you use it with, at the bottom of the fetching preferences, there's an Advanced option that lets you specify settings for each individual account.
Mine acts funny with the index page - I think it's the chatbox that slows it down. Going straight to the subforums, the New Posts page, or closing the embedded chatbox resolves all of my problems.
~Joe

I don't know what server I'm using, other than it's a POP, but I used to get the e-mails automatically. I did get an upgrade and several updates, that may have done it. (Once I find the phone) I'll look into that.

I tried going into the messages in TF, but it still locked up, and closed ALL of my open tabs.

yeah! TF locks up for me on my iphone as well. I wonder if 3gs owners can handle this site

I've got a 3G - not the S - and it works just fine for me. Loading the index is rather sluggish, but that's it. Very strange.
~Joe

I got the e-mail fixed. It was, in fact, re-set to "manual" push. I changed it to check hourly.

Thanks all!

Now if only I could get TF to work. I think it's the chat, but even the messages page locks up.

Can you load it part way, then stop it? There's a little link on the top margin of the chatbox that turns it off, and I think it sets a cookie on your browser for that option. Try searching for a TF thread on Google and see if the pages without the chatbox trip it up.
~Joe

No, it locks up immediately. Locks up the whole phone.

TF works fine with my itouch, but they could be different. Maybe you just need wi-fi?

I thought I had wi fi. Hmmm....

I can load almost any other website, just not this one. :scratch:

Funky. Has it been updated recently? You can also try resetting your network settings or resetting the whole phone to factory defaults, but the latter is pretty annoying.
~Joe

Back