What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

insignis identification

Hi,
If anybody wants to know more about it...
A few years ago I started being worried about my N. insignis (Biak, clone from Wistuba) as in a Botanic Garden I found the same plant labeled as a hybrid. On the same day Wistuba ensured me that he had collected the seeds of his plants personally, so he was sure about the identity of my plant: the botanic garden label was wrong.
But then I saw the Borneo Exotics clone and it was still different, so as usual my mind started to work too much and I lost my sleep on this matter.
Today finally I checked the Danser monograph on the web and I read the following about N. insignis :
"the lid inner surface flat or seemingly obtusely keeled by a fold, with a distinct midrib and 2 distinct lateral nerves, with numerous rather large, deepened and rimmed glands, aggregated especially near the 2 strong lateral nerves and almost failing near the midrib and near the margin"
Quite a peculiar lid. So I went to check my BE clone and...it's exactly like that! You can see very clearly the nectar drops secreted by the comparatively huge glands on the two sides of the lid. So, now I'm happy
smile.gif

Maybe this will help some of you to have his sleep back
smile.gif
!!
By the way, can anybody check the lid of the Wistuba clone ?? Just to be sure...
smile.gif

Marcello

I can check my wistuba N. insignis in the morning. Mines the "giant" Tayeve form and indeed a slow grower especially for a lowlander. I recently chopped up my N. insignis into several pieces so the only pitchers I have currently are the newest starts from dormant nodes so they're only about 1" high. Mine is very plain, yellow green with no color patterning whatsoever just a very large lid and "plump" looking persitome. Both were very copious in nectar production when the plant was large. The persistome might have simply appeared larger by being covered in nectar.

Hi,
I am sorry if this is off topic, but do you have the reference? I wanted to get some info about insignis too...I have the BE clone. I want to find out about leaf length because my plant seems to be reaching size and not increasing anymore although overall stature small. whats the max pitcher size from BE?
Thanks

Back