What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insectivorous plants by Charles Darwin, First Edition

yes I have been looking around on that site, what I dont get is how some first edition are 290$ and some are 1100$. Do you know why?

The London edition is worth more than the New York edition. And it depends on the condition of the book. Even then the asking price can differ depending on the seller.

I don't know but I think whoever gave you the book would probably be disappointed to find out you traded it for some plants. Perhaps they thought your interests would go beyond just owning/growing these plants.

I could see if the Huntington Library is interested in it for their collection of rare books although I think I saw several copies of the first editions at their History of Science exhibit.

hmmm, how much do you think the book could go for? I thought it was worth like 200$

hmmm, after looking around in that website I found out that the SECOND EDITION of John Murray is going for 350$, I does not show a first edition for sale though

When searching for books I find that http://www.bookfinder.com gives the most results.

They have the London first edition listed starting at $1,112.07 (that includes shipping :>} ) One thing to do when using this search is to always read the whole description. If you check this book out you will find several different booksellers listing the same book (same inventory number and descriptive wording) for as much as $210.00 difference for the exact same copy of the book, that is if you go for the presentation copy at over $8000.00, usually it's only a small difference.

With bookfinder you can search by author, title, ISBN, language, condition, first edition, signed, &/or keyword. Put in your location and prices are shown including shipping. Hover the mouse pointer over the price and it breaks down into book & shipping.

I know, its very odd, I have no idea how much it is worth, what do you think the price is with the new cover?

Is it still considered "mint" if it has been re-bound?

Is it even considered "mint" if it has been re-bound?

, I thought it was the origional copy but from further research i learned that it has been rebinded, the pages are still in very good condition though

Back