What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insect Hobbyists

Insect Hobbyists Hatari

It has some MEAN insects, alot of them for personal indulgance, and alot of them for Scientific study. (Brown recluse, Black Widow's) They have lots of interesting stuff, im deciding on weather or not I want to get something from their
smile_l_32.gif

Thought I would share!

Awesome! I want a sun scorpion and a vinegaroon!

Those black widows sure bring back some terrifying memories.
confused.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
that bad? WEll you widows we have recluse... Kind of scary either way. One of those Centipeads would be awsome...

RAWR!

zzscolapendraheader.jpg

I find it amusing that people would want to buy black widows. Aren't they found all over the U.S.? I gots plenty here in my backyard. They do make excellent pets though!

Let me tell you from experince, DON'T GET A PREGNANT ONE.

man i could be rich... lets see. i have velvet ants galore.. $7.5 per ant? i'm rich... where's my shovel...giant red eyed katydids, these guys are $35 bucks.... wolf spiders, brown widows, florida orb weavers... these guys only bring in 7-10$ but still i can find one a night...

ozzy what happens with pregnant ones? and i want to hear about the terrifying experience....

Pregnant ones are cool. They make an egg sac and eventually the spiderlings hatch and emerge. I set them free
smile.gif

The mother eats them.
Isn't that a wonderfull fact?
smile_o_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jojo @ July 28 2006,12:11)]ozzy what happens with pregnant ones? and i want to hear about the terrifying experience....
Ok I'll tell you about this nightmare.

I posted half of the story before but I never posted the nightmare ending.

You can read the beginning here.

Here's the ending.

Everything was going great. She was living in an aquarium, had a nice web. I fed her adult crickets. I could even hold her, but I'll hold black widows I find in the wild too.

I woke up one morning and I noticed an egg sac. I took it out and place it in a cup with a papertowel held by a rubberband over the top. One morning I woke up and I saw something hanging off the cup. After a closer inspection I saw it was a baby spider hanging on a web. I looked at the cup and the papertowel had split. There was hundreds of spiders inside the cup and a few outside of it. I took the cup and placed it outside. I hope a few of them survived. I almost had a disaster , but the good news is I caught it in time and I don't think any escaped into my room. Next time I wouldn't be so lucky.

A couple of days later, another eggsac. A couple of day after that another one. I decided to leave them in the tank. I had a fine screen top on in and I was sure that they couldn't fit through it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them when they hatched. The tank was big enough that a couple of spiders could live in it. I decided to just wait and see if any of the babies would setup a home. I had planed to grab the extras and release them outside. I knew some of the babies would be eaten by the mother, but that's just nature I guess. But not long after the last eggsac was made, the mother died.

Well they hatched, and not long after that I saw there was a few on the outside of the take. Some had escaped, I'm still not sure how. So I just took the whole tank and placed it outside. I took the top off and let them all go. I wasn't sure how many had escaped into my room, but I knew it wasn't good. Remember, this was my bedroom.

For about two weeks I rounded up the babies and took them outside. They were everywhere. If you know about baby black widows, they spin a little web and they use it to fly on the wind to their new home. I have a fan in my room that circulates the air because I have a lot of tanks with reptiles in them. So they had plenty of wind to fly with. I would be sitting at my pc and I see something fly between the screen and my face. They would also land in my hair, and be dangling right in from of my face. This went on for about two weeks. I finally found where most of them were hiding. I had a nepenthes chamber set up under a table they were in the folds of the plastic. Hundreds of them. So I caught all of them and took them outside.
I saw a few after that but only a few. I'm pretty sure I got them all.

The scary part was not the baby spiders. They are not dangerous anyway. What I was scared of was that they would grow up and find hiding places in my room, like my shoes.

Well I learned my lesson. No pregnant black widows. One day when I have a better setup I'd like to get another one.

A lot of tanks of reptiles in his room plus black widows paragliding to and fro. Take a number ladies.

Yeah I have to beat them off with a stick.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ July 30 2006,11:27)]Yeah I have to beat off with a stick.
Uh, information overload.
icon11.gif

LOl... funny story..

so what kind of spider looks like a black widow, in size but its body is red. and they spin perfectly round sacs. i have them in my house and outside windows. Never thought to think they might be poisonous.

Opps, I edited it.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOl... funny story..

Funny it was not. Scary it was.

BLACK with a TimeGlass (|><| ) wich is red on the abdomen

Females are poisonus Males arent...

It really just feels like a small, and they arent allways fatal, but you will know youve had one in half an hour. and then you are rushed to the emergencie room with anti-venom. Basicaly Ive heard it feels like All youre muscles are cramping.

I wouldnt mind that to a brown recluse. The Enzyms eat away at the flesh on the inside and youre Skin just starts to SAG and look nasty like. More fatal too.

ok how do you upload a photo?

i thought i saw a browse button on the bottom of the page on one of these threads...

you need the URL (http:// crap) and you can simply paste it when you click the IMAGE button when youa re posting something. ITs right next to the Code and Flash buttons.

Back