What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plants seem perfectly happy either way!

I love those colors on your jamban. Nice work!

All of your plants just look so fantastic. Love that little basal aristolochiodes!

@richjam ... Hey how have you been? ... All of these N. hamata pitchers are off the same plant. The pitcher to the right is a larger lower pitcher. Pitcher in the middle is the first sign of an intermediate pitcher as the plants is vining. Pitcher to the left is a transitional pitcher. This plant is a BE release from several years ago, probably just the N. hamata lumut clone.

I've been good Mike, thanks :) It's good to see you posting here. With your awesome plants, we'd all like to see you post more often ;) It's interesting to see the variation in pitcher shape (especially peristome/teeth shape) on one plant.

Redid the poly-plastic on my setup and did a deep clean. Took a few photos of some plants.

nepenthes-platychila-12-27-13.jpg

Nepenthes platychila - semi-uppers, N. vogelli to follow

nepenthes-spathulata-12-27-13.jpg

Nepenthes spathulata - semi-uppers

nepenthes-edwardsiana-12-27-13.jpg

Nepenthes edwardsiana - new pitcher

nepenthes-hamata-red-hairy-12-27-13.jpg

Nepenthes hamata - Three years of being fussy and now some good growth

nepenthes-indoor-top-shelf-12-27-13.jpg

Top Shelf, Back Corner - Fog and various plants - N. singalana vine, N. ramispina vine, N. hamata vine, N. edwardsiana, N. glandulifera, N. angasanensis...

Thanks for looking.

Lookin' good. Are you using HPS or something? The color on the little hamata is impressive.

I don't get on here to often but what a great thread! Fantastic plants and all are very well grown.

@mato - Yes, I use HPS. Depending on the species, some like fluorescent lights and some like HPS, but HPS works the best in my experience for all nepenthes.

Have you used MH at all? I've been considering switching from fluorescents for a while now but haven't quite been convinced to take the plunge. Venting the heat could be an issue for me.

Venting and cooling will be an issue with MH and HPS. I like the HPS also because of the heat... the ambient temperature in the basement grow area is low 60s, and the HPS lights will heat up the area to 75 during the day. Keeping the lights out of the grow area via a partition of glass or plastic is key. I am sure you got all your research done and you are just waiting to pull the trigger on MH lights. MH lights will be more pleasing on the eyes.

Very nice! Is that a red hairy hamata? Didn't realize normal hamata could be that red.

Forgot to update this thread. Posted some pictures if anyone is interested.

nepenthes-hamata-red-hair-0514.jpg

2 Nepenthes hamata red hairies.

nepenthes-hamata-red-hair-pitcher-2-0514.jpg

Close up of the pitchers.

nepenthes-aristolochiodies-pitcher.jpg

nepenthes aristolochioides w. seed basal.

nepenthes-lowii-x-veitchii.jpg

Nepenthes lowii x veitchii EP

nepenthes-attenboroughii-05-14.jpg

My largest of 5 Nepenthes attenboroughii w. seed, still small

nepenthes-flava-veitchii-05-14.jpg

Nepenthes flava in the mouth of a Nepenthes veitchii.

nepenthes-mantalingajanensis.jpg

2 Nepenthes mantalingajanensis plants.

nepenthes-chaniana.jpg

A slender Nepenthes chaniana

nepenthes-edwardsiana-10in.jpg

Nepenthes edwardsiana, largest pitcher so far 10 inches.

nepenthes-burbidgeae-pitchers.jpg

2 Nepenthes burbidgeae pitchers of my largest w. seed plant.

nepenthes-burbidgeae-tendril.jpg

The length of the tendril is more impressive then the pitcher.

nepenthes-burbidgeae-hand.jpg

Nepenthes burbidgeae pitcher in hand.

nepenthes-burbidgeae-peristome.jpg

Nepenthes burbidgeae peristome up-close

nepenthes-bongso.jpg

Nepenthes bongo seedling.

nepenthes-densiflora.jpg

Nepenthes densiflora seedling.

nepenthes-singalana-x-hamata.jpg

Nepenthes singalana x hamata seedling

nepenthes-singalana-x-hamata-peristome.jpg

Nepenthes singalana x hamata peristome up-close

nepenthes-vogelli.jpg

Finally an upper pitcher on my Nepenthes vogellii.

nepenthes-flava.jpg

Nepenthes flava seedlings.

nepenthes-lavicola-red.jpg

Nepenthes lavicola all red from seed.

nepenthes-lavicola-tubby.jpg

Nepenthes lavicola tubby ones from seed.

That is an impressive group - a reminder what it is about the genus that fascinates many of us, and drives us to pursue any means just to cultivate them!

"if anyone is interested.. " !?!?!?
Come on Michael, we're ALL interested. Many of us wait all year just for your 1 update!!

And as usual, everything looks spectacular!
Are you still using the automated setup at your mother's, or is this the closet setup? Would love to see how the setup looks now-a-days..

Everything is beautiful!!! Amazing variety...

Thanks for sharing!

That's easily one of the nicest burbidgeae I've seen to date. Great stuff, Michael!

Those are some awesome pictures. The moss in your "red hairies" makes it look like a tiny alien pine tree forest. Is it haircap moss? Your aristolocioides is making me jealous too. I am still shooting myself for not buying one of Josh's over at predatory plants. I didn't think they would sell that fast and when I went online to finally bite the bullet they were sold out. Whoops.

How old is your vogelli? I did manage to order one of those at least! I wanted a platychila for a long time but prefered the purple coloration of the vogelli. Plus a $20 spontaneous purchase is much easier to rationalize vs. a $50-75 platychila lol. How similar do they appear in person?

@whim... yes, the endless pursuit.

@mass... Thanks for the kinds words. Yes I am growing in my parents basement for the past 2 years. It works really nice keeping the temps at bay.

@ellisonk Thank you.

@mato... Burb has grown on me almost as slow as it grows itself. It is such a great species.

@rcl... the moss is Polytrichum moss that has grown overtime. It does create a nice scene.

The BE aristo is not good, so you may be better off looking elsewhere. It is difficult to grow well longterm.

I think vogellii is a better choice of the two. I don't think they are similar, but yes they are closely related to maxima.

Those are astoundingly beautiful plants, grown to perfection.

Nice plants! Do you grow mostly species, or did there just happen to take a lot of pictures of them? I love the upper pitcher on the vogelii. It is so nice when the upper and lower pitchers of a Nepenthes look so different.

Back