What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas on what I can grow?

Hi, I was wondering what Neps I can easily grow in my conditions. I believe my real conditions are low-high 80s at day, and at night, high 70s to maybe (Just maybe, but not likely!) 69-68. Humidity is high 40s to high 60s, 80+ at night. I know intermediates will do well, but I wonder if these conditions are better for lowlanders or highlanders (Most likely lowlanders though, but if you know any highlanders that might have a chance, let me know). I'm really sorry, but I'm very picky on neps. I would like them to have nice colors and/or interesting pitcher shape. Also, that they don't grow big (for awhile, a few years, maybe). Very sorry if I make hard on what I'm looking for in neps. I might get Sanguinea, but it'll be on my windowsill. Little off topic here, but I would like to know how to shave off a few degrees without doing anything drastic. Thanks :)

Last edited:
That's pretty simalar to my conditions. When you say "And high 70s to maybe (Just maybe, but not likely!) 69-68", is that at night? I have a truncata, which is really slow growing but it's cool watching the big pitchers develop. It grows fine in my conditions. Also a ventricosa, which hasn't pitchered yet but I'm hoping it will soon. I put my sanguinea outside because it's good conditions out there, but it was doing great inside as well.

look at hybrids.......though for pure species ventricosa is a good one and bongso might do OK....veitchii and truncata should do OK....veitchii x eymae is a weed for me..........'Ile de France'........'Miranda' is a old standby with great color.........

Thanks for the reply, guys :) I mostly am wondering on pure species. I also want to know if N. tentaculata will grow in those conditions.

Edit: I'll keep those neps in mind. Btw, I already have a ventricosa and ventrata basal growing in there (plus other things)

Tentaula would not survive if those are your year round temperatures. Fusca and maxima are good choices. If you can grow the sanguinea you could grow a ramispina.

Tentaula would not survive if those are your year round temperatures. Fusca and maxima are good choices. If you can grow the sanguinea you could grow a ramispina.

Well, It might be like in Spring and Summer, but in Fall and Winter, it'll most likely go down.
Hopefully, I'll succesfully grow a Sanguinea on my windowsill (I have a ventrata pitchering for me, so we'll just see). Ramispina, I like because it can be gray on the outside and green in the insides :3

N. ventrata, alata, sanguinea, Judith Finn,....

My N. ramispina is flourishing with temps close to that. It's a great plant. All the others Jim listed I agree with.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

Hi, I was wondering what Neps I can easily grow in my conditions. I believe my real conditions are low-high 80s at day, and at night, high 70s to maybe (Just maybe, but not likely!) 69-68. Humidity is high 40s to high 60s, 80+ at night. I know intermediates will do well, but I wonder if these conditions are better for lowlanders or highlanders (Most likely lowlanders though, but if you know any highlanders that might have a chance, let me know). I'm really sorry, but I'm very picky on neps. I would like them to have nice colors and/or interesting pitcher shape. Also, that they don't grow big (for awhile, a few years, maybe). Very sorry if I make hard on what I'm looking for in neps. I might get Sanguinea, but it'll be on my windowsill. Little off topic here, but I would like to know how to shave off a few degrees without doing anything drastic. Thanks :)

A number of intermediate to lowland Nepenthes may work well, since I have friends both in Hawai'i and Queensland facing similar challenges. They've done well with N. truncata (both forms -- intermediate / highland and lowland -- seemed to tolerate their "warmer" Tbs), N. ventricosa, various N. ventricosa hybrids (ventricosa x ovata, ventricosa x bongso, etc); in terms of lowlanders, N. ampullaria, N. bicalcarata fit the bill, at least initially. If the eventual large size of a species is an issue, the obvious solution is to begin simply with smaller plants, which are most commonly available and affordable anyway, and keep them pruned back -- a far more attractive option anyway.

Once again, hybrids of both highland and lowland forms are certainly a way to go; the concept of hybrid vigour is not simply a cliché and they are, almost to a one, far more tolerant of Tb and humidity fluctuations than any of their individual parents . . .

Ok, so I'll probably be getting N. ramispina, bongso, and either N. spectabilis x aristo or N. Lady Pauline (if I can get it smaller than they have it). Thoughts? N. sanguinea will be on the windowsill. I still wonder how I can lower temp to low 80s.

Edit: I might be switching out N. ramispina or bongso for N. albomarginata (I think that's the name, I'm too lazy to look it up xD)
Edit #2: Well...unfortunately, they don't have Lady Pauline that's 3-6 inches :(. So I'll probably get N. spectabilix x aristo.

I have bongso, ramispina, lady pauline, and spec x aristo. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

All have grown extremely well for me - except bongso. But I'm the exception to the rule, as it grows great for everybody else. I think mine may just now finally be starting to get out of its so-far year long slump.

The one that surprised me was the spec x aristo - it's been a very strong grower!! I got it very, very small (1"), yet it hasn't missed a beat and has tripled in size in just a few months. Dark pitchers with darker spots, makes oodles of nectar on a dark peristome with slight striping. As it matures, I expect the color to improve even more.

Ramispina has done great for me - mines still small kinda small though, but it's a strong grower. And lady pauline is at this time my favorite nep I own. Very vigorous, pitchers like mad, and those pitchers last for many months.

Edit: All the above is based on being in highland conditions. Your experience may vary ;)

For cooling at night I use a misting system but I do grow outdoors so I'm not too sure if this will help but may lead to some good ideas.

I think I've got it handled. Found out frozen bottles of water work well in small tanks :)

Back