What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why has no one crossed mexican pings with pings native to the southeastern united states(P. moranensis x primuliflora ect.)? is it impossible? i dont see why it would be. im gonna try anyways, my hybrids gona be P. laueana x lutea. i dont have either at the moment, but im goin' to ask for them for by bday (november 26, i will be 14) so as soon as their both flowering, i will try. by the way, does the gender of the parent plant material( pollen or stigma/egg cells) used change how you wright the hybrid name?

Get a copy of the article

Casper, S. Jost and Rosemarie Stimper (2009) Chromosome numbers in Pinguicula (Lentibulariaceae): survey, atlas, and taxonomic conclusions. Plant Systemics and Evolution. 277:21–60

This will give you many of the 2n chromosome counts for 82 Pinguicula taxa. This will give you an idea of which species have compatible counts increasing the likelihood of successful hybridization. However even if the counts are compatible if there are not enough genetic similarities fertilization is unlikely to occur.

To quote John Brittnacher's article on the ICPS website Evolution -- the Lamiales Carnivores

Most Mexican Pinguicula are diploids (x=11, 2n=22) while P. alpina is a tetrapoid with a different base number (x=8, 2n=32). The Pinguicula ancestral base number is x=8. Most of the non-Mexican Pinguicula are diploid, tetraploid, octoploid, and hexadecaploid x=8 (2n=16, 32, 64, 128) with a few interesting exceptions. Based on chromosome numbers in combination with the DNA data there are no clear candidates currently extant that appear to be directly ancestral to the Mexican species.

While hybrids between Mexican and Central American Pinguicula have been successful lack of direct ancestral connections of Mexican Pinguicula with other species probably means the likelihood of successful hybridization is unlikely.

:lol: That's very interesting!

Here are some counts from species common to the SE United States:

a, P. pumila (2n =22); b, P. ionantha (2n =22); c, P. caerulea (n 16, twelve bivalents and two quad- rivalents); d, P. planifolia (2n-32), e, P. primuliflora (2n =32); f, P. lutea ( 2n =32) .

2n=16 (P. villosa L.); 2n=32 (P. alpina L.); 2n=44 ("P. caudata"); 2n=64 (P. grandiflora Lam., P. vulgaris L.).

Source:
A Synopsis of Pinguicula (Lentibulariaceae) in the Southeastern United States R. K. GODFREY and H. LARRY STRIPLING Department of Biological Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee
American Midland Naturalist, Vol. 66, No. 2 (Oct., 1961), pp. 395-409

Note: these were simply cut and pasted from the above paper and not edited to have a consistent format.

well, you obviously know a good deal about genetics. im only 13, so i would apriciate if you made it a bit simpler/explained what these chromosome numbers are. is it the number of genes per chromosome? or number of genes/chromosomes in the genome? huh?:crazy: I just wanna make cool lookin' hybrids.

so your saying it has a chance of working? would P. laueana x lutea (or the other way around, i dont know how you wright hybrid names, does it change the way you wright the name if you use pollen from one or the other???? ) have a chance of producing some viable seed? if there is even a smal chance, im gonna try it.

How about the proverbial cross between a butterwort and a VFT?

:-)) lol thats funny, but seriously can i cross those two pings?

Seriously, I think if it were physically possible to hybridize our SE USA pings with Mexican pings, it would have been done already. I think the genetics prevent it.

then why arent they in seperate genuses

Last edited:
That's another "can of worms"! Why are supposedly separate and distinct species within a genus able to be crossed and produce viable offspring?

Last edited:
2n is the chromosome count. n is the number of chromosome pairs. In humans 2n=46. When the cells divide through meiosis to form sex cells (ova and sperm) the 2n count is halved (13 in humans). When fertilization occurs the chromosomes again become pairs with a 2n=46.

Hybridization is more likely to occur if the 2n counts are equal. Fertilization will only occur if there is enough genetic similarity between the species.

Intergenic hybridization (between different genus) is even less likely due to even less genetic similarity.

See this article for more information. Although the subject are Drosera the same principles apply:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult291Colch.htm

Last edited:
then why arent they in seperate genuses

Because two species being able to breed with one another successfully is not what determines them also being within the same genus. Really, the concept of Nepenthes gets us (well me anyway) spoiled because they so readily hybridize with one another. There are many Drosera and Pinguicula that cannot hybridize together, a lot of that has to do with the fact that members of those two genus are very widespread. Whereas Sarracenia and Nepenthes are native to basically one distinct region, Drosera and Pinguicula are found throughout the world and in their own separate regions have had a long time to evolve independently of one another. There's no reason to put them in a separate genus, though.

what about subgenus are there any ping subgenra (subgenuses?)

So much for Ontogeny recapitulating Phylogeny!

Back