What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID my nep.

I bought this from garden works in the winter, dying pitchers and all and much smaller, but have been watering it and trimming dead stuff off as necessary to make room for new.

I dont know exactly what type it is. Also I am trying to grow pitchers without a greenhouse/humidifier. So far 50-60% in my place with 6-8 hours of filtered light per day.

Lots of "wannabe" pitchers there and just growing but seeming to slow or stop at this point.

Also if a leaf has previously produced a pitcher and now the vine/end of it is dead, shall i cut away the leaf or will it grow again.

I am a noob at this and doing my best to grow but lots of work as you all probably know.

Thanks for all your help!

ummm, how can i upload pics?! do I need my own webspace?

hmmm trying to figure how to copy from my computer but seems you need webspace.

http://photobucket.com for pics. I think it will walk you through it.

The links you posted want a username and password to download the photo. Go check out photobucket. It's much easier.

ok.

plant002.jpg

plant001.jpg

ID and help if any?! Sorry but I am used to evom.net forums on my car and I get responses pretty fast :p

Still no responses almost a month later. Is this a rare plant no one knows about? LOL i bought it from garden works. But I need to get a little greenhouse to up the humidity, im only around 50-60%

is that huge nepenthes hanging from a string?
I am guessing ventrata.

Has it put out any pitchers since the last picture update? That will help a lot.

xvart.

Based on the leaves I agree to the probably ventricosa but it may be ventrata. Need pitchers to tell for sure

I am with pyro....leaves look ventricosa but hard to tell until we see a pitcher.

haha well there is more than one plant there haha its huge how big is that pot in diameter?

Thanks for the ego boost on the size, it is in a 10" pot, and yes it is more than one plant, multiple roots.

I haven't got it to pitcher, due to lack of humidity I think. I am trying to come up with a way to make a cheap greenhouse for it.

But until then, its just growing new leaves and trying to shoot out pitchers but no results. Any hints/tips?

Once you get that greenhouse in place and it starts producing pitchers that is gonna be one spectacular clump, whatever species it is. Good luck with that greenhouse, and update us with pics if it ever starts producing those pitchers.

Umm, your humidity should be fine for most to at least attempt to pitcher. IMO light is your problem, you said you only use 6-8 hours of filtered light? Try using 14 - 16 hours of very bright indirect or fluorescent tube light. If you do use tube lights, hang them pretty close to the plants, sya 8 inches above. That's my tip/hint.

-isaac

thanks, I have a 13 watt snap on trouble light I use :p Once summer warm weather hit I will be putting it outside....if that doesn't help it then I will try upping the humidity

I'll start off by saying: Damn that's a big plant! I'm surprised you were able to snag such a huge specimen from a garden center. I actually just purchased a relatively big Nepenthes from a local garden center, but it's nowhere near as monstrous as yours!

I honestly don't think that lighting is your problem. You bought the plant in the winter, and most Neps have a hard time pitchering throughout the winter months. All my Neps are just now starting to wake up with Spring's recent arrival. So I say keep the plant where it is and continue to keep it moist with distilled water. You'll start to see some pitcher production in the next month.

If you live in the Bay area, I saw some nurseries with lots of ventratas that size. In fact, that one looks just like them.

Back