What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some help please :-)

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I read that VFT's only have seven leaves per plant, if you have more than seven leaves then it's most likely more than one plant, or something like that. ANYWHO, I read that I can take off one of the leaves and try to start a new plant with it. I took a leaf off, as close to the base as posible, now what? Do I plant it, stick it in water? Teach me please :)

Lay it on your media of choice (peat/sand, lfs) and just barely cover the base of the petiole.

Do not do that. Let your plant grow as it is. You risk even harming the existing plant. When the time comes, if your plant has like 13 leaves or so...it starts splitting directly on itself.

See Barry Rice's FAQ re: leaf pullings

You can also put the pulling/cutting in a small cup/dish of water. Change the water weekly or as soon as you see any algae growth. Many people have great success propagating plants this way.

I think the seven leaf stuff is a bunch of crap. My VFTs have more than seven leaves and when I recently repotted them there was only one rhizome in one pot. The other had two joined rhizomes (not ready to divide yet). Both rhizomes in that case have more than seven leaves each.

See also this thread

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105739

Thanks guys :) Vraev, it's too late, I had already done it before I even started this thread. My plant seems to be just fine though.

read that VFT's only have seven leaves per plant

Where did you read that? It's total rubbish :jester:

VFTs can have many many traps per plant.

I can't remember, on some CP site though.

You can even sprout VFTs on a wet paper towel!!! You could try that. :)

Where did you read that? It's total rubbish :jester:

VFTs can have many many traps per plant.

Acutally I recall reading that as well. There were quite a few "personal" or "non-credited" sites which said that. I know....I was pretty confused as well when my VFT started putting out like 13 leaves or so.

Indeed, one of my current Typical VFT's has about 14 leaves with two new ones forming, it's in a clump though.

As far as I know, I think that's a good thing...

...The eight leaf thing is just an average. If yours has 14 leaves then it generally means it is very happy.

I read sort of the same thing except.. it was worded like.. "If your VFT has more than 7 leaves then it has actually split into two plants." I doubt that is accurate either though.

So don't feel bad. :p

(Woot 1234 posts!)

I read sort of the same thing except.. it was worded like.. "If your VFT has more than 7 leaves then it has actually split into two plants." I doubt that is accurate either though.

So don't feel bad. :p

(Woot 1234 posts!)

Yes! That's what it said!

Ah, my plant created a long summer trap that went towards the light, I heard that was bad.

It had maybe 11 or 12 leaves when I got it, it's made some more since, since it has 14 and two new ones forming, that would make 16. Its first trap opened prematurely, and its second one that went towards the light got attacked by pests (which are now all gone hahahaha) so it is still a flimbsy leaf that doesn't do much but photosynthesize, and it has a new one almost done. To be honest, if this trap forms right, it will be the first trap that is able to eat something since I got them! Haha! Its first traps didn't work really and the next two didn't. I've only had 2 out of like 6 traps eat something on all my plants, one took 3 weeks and another took about 5 days and the 5 day one ate a 1/4-1/2 cm wide 1 inch long thing that crawled out of the soil of one of my plants, this was my big mouth which is making leaves quicker even though it made a flower stalk that broke off when it was done. Anyways, enough rambling for me.

Edit: The Typical VFT has two more tiny leaves coming in now too, so this would raise the count to 18.

I'm trying to remember exactly where it was when I read it but it was back when I first started growing CPs in 2002.. so there's like no way of finding that out. Unless.......... Savage Garden?...nooo..can't be...

(Woot 1243 posts! xD)

It's not in Savage Garden. I first ran across that bit of nonsense on seven leaves while playing the feed the flytrap game on the Dunecraft site a few weeks ago.

I've never played that game before.. or do you mean that you came across is on a different site while you were playing it?

In between levels the game would toss out VFT trivia. One of them was something like "Do you know your Venus Flytrap only has seven leaves? If it has more you have two plants!"

Back