What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need more space

I seriously need more growing space for my plants. I've already got 2 ten gallons relatively full. So, I was thinking of ditching one ten gallon, keeping the other, and making a terrarium out of a spare 20 gallon tank. It's a 20 gallon "High" tank. The dimensions are: L=24", W=12", H=16"-17". Based on this, I could fit several 4' shop lights on top, but I was thinking 2 would be good enough. That would be about 80 watts, which is around what I have for my tanks, give or take a few watts. Would this make my plants color up as much as they would with 80 watts in a ten gallon? Could I balance the lights on top of the tank without needing to hang them?

Many thanks,
-Ben

Ben, get as many of those shoplights over the tank as possible. At least the four. You'll be glad you did! It's a tall tank, and every inch of clearance between plant and light counts.

Oh, and this is just the beginning. It will take about 15 minutes and you'll need more room again!
smile_n_32.gif

Capslock

i'm having trouble visualizing this.

flip them on their side so you can fit a 4x shoplight on top and have more floor space.

I was just thinking of using this: Light thing Then I would prop up smaller plants closer to the lights. I'm mostly making this tank for my N. x 'Judith Finn' which is getting huge. Plus, the height of the tank allows Drosera and Utricularia more flower space. I was thinking I could add another fixture with something like 19 or 26 watt compacts. (I already have several unused fixtures & bulbs) I don't want to spend too much money on this stuff.

Capslock, I think it's already going to be full when I move my plants in!

-Ben

If I was in your position, I'd use what I already have, too.Tape mylar or spray that sprayable mirror stuff to the back and sides, and add as many lights as you can.

True, I could do that. But the thing is, I don't have much. Ok, I had this discussion with my dad, and he says, what's the difference between using two 20 watt bulbs from using two 40 watt bulbs that have a 2ft cut off? He says that's the same thing. I'm just really confused here. I don't want to cram a crud load of lights onto the top of the tank, I want to use a minimal amount.

-Ben

It is the same thing, but 4 ft tubes are more efficient.

Minimal amount means A: minimum growth (assuming no etoliation) or B: limits your selection of plant's you can grow. There's a difference between growing(living) and thriving.

you really don't need a terrarium if you don't want it.

No, I'm saying I don't want to have a bunch of low wattage bulbs where I could have 1-3 higher wattage bulbs. I don't know. Would 3 40 watt's then be ok? Or 3 30 watts?

-Ben

Well I feel the same way
smile.gif
Quality over quantity. 3 40's is better than 3 30's. Do they even make a 3 bulb SL?
If you can fit 4, go for 4.

Alright, I'll go with 3 40's. My dad, being the scientific guy he is, doesn't understand why I would want all that overhang.

-Ben

Overhang?

The 4ft 40 watt bulbs will leave a 2ft overhang on my 2ft long tank.

-Ben

ooh boy.. I thought you were going to put a ten gallon beside it? That should give you just a few inches of overhang.

If your going to have just one (1) 2 foot aquarium, it makes to sense to use 4 ft lights. I thought you were going to put a 20 beside a 10, and that should be just short of 4 feet.

Oh, no no no. See, the thing is, on one tank, I don't have really the type of lighting I want. The other tank is fine, so I'll keep that lighting. I'll take the plants in the not-good lighting tank and put them into the 20 gal, and put some of the good-lighting plants in there too. How many should I use on the 20 gal then?

-Ben

Then go with 4 2 footers. If not 4, then 3.You said you don't want to spend cash, so don't bother with PC's.

All right, I'll do that then. Thanks a bunch. I'm glad to get this done.

-Ben

OR, I could use 2 20 watts, and add two 26 watt CF's. I think that would be better. Arrg, the only thing is that the only 2 foot bulbs they have are T12.

-Ben

Yes that would be better. They make T8's and T5's.

A little aluminum foil and some tape will do wonders too speaking from experience.

The ones at Home Depot and Lowes only seem to come in T12's. Are they really that bad?

Pyro, yeah, I use alluminum on all my tanks, and it works great.

-Ben

Back