What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a hacker

I need to recover an email that has been deleted. Anyone know how to do that? PM me please.

Deleted from where? How long ago? Deleted can be mighty permanent, especially if you don't have physical access to the computer where the data was stored.
~Joe

I do have access, it is my computer. Someone is trying to say I said something I didn't say, so I need this email as proof, but it has been deleted and I want to know if there is any way to recover it.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

that google link looks promising, but from what I can tell, it talks about recovery from Outlook emails. I didn't use outlook...

How long ago was it deleted?

[/COLOR]that google link looks promising, but from what I can tell, it talks about recovery from Outlook emails. I didn't use outlook...
What program was it?

Really depends on the email solution you are using. If it is a large corporate email server and you deleted it recently (today), you can probably get it back but you must contact your administrator quickly.

Otherwise, it is still probably kept by corporate but they will most likely not retrieve it unless ordered by court due to the cost of recovery. They might if your job is on the line. Most companies must keep emails for many years due to regulations. I keep most emails on my personal archive folder for about 5 years. But this is for my work and not something I would do for personal emails. I have had to pull up a few in my career to CMOA so I know where you are coming from.

If it is your personal email on your laptop or computer, make a copy of your internal email store immediately and you may be able to retrieve it manually depending on when you deleted it. But make a backup copy sooner rather than later.

If you are using online email apps, you are probably screwed.

I don't know a whole lot about email solutions just stuff I picked up being close to the Helpdesk and Infrastructure folks in my own little IT niche of development and databases.

it was written from my personal computer, using my school email address, which is powered by gmail. It was deleted over a week ago and is not in trash anymore.

You should contact your school's tech support. From the sound of it, you use Gmail as a client to access the school's servers, so the emails never actually get stored on your own machine. Gmail would probably no longer have it available due to the volatility of their data servers, but your school may be able to do a server-side recovery. It may be the case that Gmail actually serves your school's email services as well, in which case the situation might be grim. :(
~Joe

PS - If it becomes a big enough issue legally, a court can subpoena the service provider of the recipient's email address, but from the sound of it your situation is not of that scale.

its not a legal issue by any stretch. It's a personal matter. Stupid, really. My husband's youngest brother and his wife split up, and I have never liked her at all - we've never gotten along - but the family turned against her in a very bad way when they split, and refused to see that he may have had anything to do with the split, and was trying to pin everything on her. They were obsessed with proving her guilty in any number of ways, and their accusations and hateful attitude really pissed me off. I felt sorry for her, so I contacted her to let her know that she was not getting the easy divorce she was hoping for, and told her "they are determined to make you be the one with egg on your face and him the one that comes out of this smelling like roses". She shared some very personal things that she has had to go through with him - her reasons for the split - and I could relate, because I've had some of the same problems in the past with my marriage. So we talked about that. This conversation was never meant to be seen by anyone else. It was a personal conversation between the two of us. She has supposedly printed the emails that I sent to her, minus her replies, and showed them to the family. Some of what I'm hearing that she is saying that I said, was not things that I ever said. That conniving _____ is trying to turn focus off of herself and put it on me as the bad guy, and I am really pissed. But I don't have a copy of the emails to show any of what she said. And if she can doctor emails and change things around, then I am not above playing the same game. I just don't know how. I'm sure that she has saved copies on her computer. I wish I knew how to hack into it and retrieve them.

You may contact your administrator and see. It never hurts to ask. I would hope your family would see what she is doing. The fact that she removed her replies would tell me if I were reading it that she wrote something that she didn't want others to see that would cast her in a bad light. She might have even edited what you said.

Heck anybody can make up a phony email.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like the kind of drama that goes on in some of the branches in my family tree. LOL.

it was written from my personal computer, using my school email address, which is powered by gmail. It was deleted over a week ago and is not in trash anymore.

Do you use an internet browser? If you cache your pages for a long time you may be able to go in find it if it is still on your PC.

This is a bit technical so send me a PM if you want to go down this road.

Generally speaking... This is what you want to do...
(using Internet explorer)
1. Click on Tools
2. Click on Internet Options
3. Click on Settings (under browsing history)
4. Click on View Files
5. Click on Edit then Select all in the explorer window
6. Click on Edit again and select Copy
7. Make new folder on your desktop
8. Open the folder by double clicking on it.
9. Right click inside the window and select paste.

From there you will need to search through the files for keywords like this persons email address or name. You can use windows find wizard or the FIND.CMD command shell utility in DOS (for advanced users).

If you find some then you may be able to just open them and print them, but they could also be expired and redirect you to login or something. if this happens you may have to open them up in notepad or wordpad and just print them with all of the HTML and junk but at least the text of the email will be there.

This is all from the top of my head so it may or may not work as described.

Man, you try to help someone, and they turn on you. Reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Man, you try to help someone, and they turn on you. Reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird.

How ironic, we're currently reading that at school.
Best of luck to you, Kristi.

I checked with the itech at school, and they said it is impossible short of a court order. Oh well. I guess it is best if it dies down anyway. I hate family drama.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your family is able to mellow out and trust that you were trying to do the right thing.
~Joe

Back