What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love PetFlyTrap!

Got a sarracenia from Petflytrap and it's doing great!! Pitchering like crazy and developing nice red veins. My first experience with one of these and it seems really easy...I just spritz it with distilled water when I walk by a couple times a day and give it plenty of light. It has 11 or 12 pitchers and tons of new growth...all in a 3" pot! Do I need to transplant it to give it more room?? Any comments welcome. And thanks to Phil and Jeff for having such great healthy plants
smile.gif
I love this place!!

Repot next year because dormancy is very close. Or repot now but it might risk some slight shock. Your choice. I am putting all my plants into dormancy tonight that reqiure it. Nep.g.

Thanks for the info! It's still fairly warm here and the plant is outside for part of the day to get good sun. I don't think it knows that it's time for dormancy as yet. Maybe I'll put it to sleep in a couple of weeks when it cools off. Is dormancy required for the Sarracenias for sure? This plant is just going like crazy right now...I hate to force it to sleep if it doesn't need it.
smile.gif

You can grow it like a tropical for a year or two but is is highly unreccomended. The Sarracenias should go dormant every year to ensure large pitchers and a flower. So yes it should go dormant but it is realy the grower and plants response to the choice you make. Nep.G.

Thanks Nep G.
smile.gif
How long should it "sleep" and how do I wake it?

Greenhouse1,

You should definately put it down for bed either next week, or the week after. How long it sleeps is really up to you, Mine sleep from late november to early February, when it starts warming up in Texas... alot of people say that's not long enough, but it is a deep refrigerated dormancy, and I just cant waste spring time here, as summer is hideously hot, and most growth is stunted because of it.

Thanks Ram. Maybe I'll tell it nitey nite on Thanksgiving day...right after it's full from dinner ..perhaps a nice fly or mosquito for it's dinner.
smile.gif
No, guess I'd better feed it now if it's to sleep on Thanksgiving. I'll wake it on Easter. That way I should remember the dormancy cycle. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Hello,
I don't know where you are located, but if you have the plant outside part of the day- why not leave it out all of the day?  The plant will cycle down on its own.
I don't fully understand the exact sleep nature that is mentioned here with native USA plants.  A slow natural occurance takes place regarding dormancy.  It just can't be turned on & off at will.  Subjecting and actively growing plant to a possible harsh environment without preparing can cause the loss of the plant.
Even in habitat during dormancy plenty of warm days occur for the southern Sarracenia.  It is not uncommon for a pitcher here and there to form.  
A lot of the Sarracenia have now formed a big bud at the base of the rhizome and are dormant.  Still others are producing pitchers, some deformed, some very pretty just at a slower rate.  Seedlings for the most are still actively growing.  A few have bloomed within the last month, this happens too.  It is the seasonal change that slowly prepares the plant for rest.  But  it isn't a deep sleep by any means.
Plants that are outside and still producing a plethera of pitchers most likely are recent ex-tc plants and not totally inline with the natural growing cycle.  These can be handled as a seedling the first year and skip the dormant period.  Dormancy is best,  and leaving the plants outside to acclimate to the lower daily light levels, humidity changes, less moisture in the soil, & cooler day/night temps is the best way to let it happen if possible.
Take care,
~ Mike

Thanks MPH101. I do believe this one is recently out of tissue culture..maybe that's why it's going strong. Perhaps I will skip dormancy this time around. By the way, I'm in the Houston area.
It's been quite warm during the day here but then last nite we got a real cold snap so I brought the plant inside to a sunnny place. I was afraid the snap was too abrupt and would kill it. Anyhow, thanks so much for your thoughts on the subject. Also, you are lucky to live in the St.Pete area...what a great place. I'm a beach bum at heart and get to your part of the world a couple of times a year for vacation. With a bit of luck I'll move there permanently some day. (I'm a dreamer
smile.gif

Greenhouse,

I live in San Antonio, and I expect you have experienced the same "Blue Nortnern" that blew through for us yesterday. We are experiencing our first multi-day span of mid sixties weather!
smile.gif

In regards to putting your plant into dormancy:

finding out whether your Purpera just came out of tissue culture is as easy as asking Phil and Jaie, and letting them know when you purchased it. I have a gut feeling it has actually been out for a while, simply because They are trying to clear out their purpera stock so they can make room for other strains of Sar's this spring (According to their sales page!)

Any how, it is entirely possible that it just came out of TC< and is young enough that you don't need to put it to bed.

My Sars which are all out doors now, (some were moved a month ago) have all slowed down, probably to reduced photo period, certainly not the temperatures, and have massive buds on the end of the rhiozomes, they are going to go in the fridge the minute the fungicide comes in from Phil and Jeff.

While it is true you can lose plants do to rapid cycling into dormancy, I don't think it should be an incredibly large concern, if you are going to wrap them up and put them in the fridge bare root, by taking simple precautions I think you can ensure your plant will survive, but I won't bet the farm on that. There are exceptions to every rule.

Also remember that you may be sacrificing far more vigorous growth this spring, by giving it this vigorous growth period now, and sacrificing formancy.

My personal opinion is some where between going immediately into dormancy, and skipping it, like Mike said, I think if it is OK outside, then I would leave it out there 24/7, And I can pretty much gurantee you that barring a squirrel attack, it will be OK, mine were enduring the 102 degree summer we had in San Antonio this year. Leave it outside, and the reduced photo period will eventually get it through to the plant that it should go to sleep for the winter... then go ahead and go through your dormancy steps and wake it back up next year.

You'll allmost certainly be fine going either route, but here is something to keep in mind, something that San Antonio and Houston share... Brutally hot summers... your going to get your best pitcher growth in early spring, which is most peoples late winter, if your plant decides to go dormant in spring on it's own, well, you just lost your best growing period for the year, cause we both know fall is practically non existent in south texas, summer is almost all year long, and winter, when we decide to have it, is a freaked out almalgamation of all other seasons!

Another thing to consider is that the Big Thicket, which isn't to far from houston, is a natural growing place for Sarracenia Purpera, and once you have the plant aclimated out doors, you might be able to leave it there all year long, I am not sure about how different houston vs. Big thicket temps, humidity, and so on are... but it's a thought...

By teh way, Mike, nice site, Bical and Raf pics are gorgeous.

Back