What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I brought it back from near death!

Awhile back I bought a nepenthes from lowes to get my collection started. I did some research on neps, but I didn't read anything about acclimating them, so the first thing I did was take it out of the dome. Within two weeks the pitchers started to turn black. I put a plastic bag over it and let it get back to normal before I started cutting holes in it. Its been about a month or so since I started acclimating it and it looks like it might produce pitchers in the next month!

It seems to have two or three growth points. Have you ever had a plant that does this?
CIMG4805.jpg

I'm not sure what you should do but that growth is really odd looking. I have never seen anything like it. How much light is it getting? Is it in a drained container that isn't sitting in water?

I have it under two 23 watt compact florescent bulbs, about 6 or 8 inches from the plant. Its in the original pot, that has good drainage. I top water it every three days and let it soak up the water from the bottom for about an hour. Its not in standing water for more than an hour. The planting medium is long sphagnum moss and peat moss.

I've seen that - rather common from the Lowes/Home Depot mass-produced plants. Their nodes activiate at the slighted provocation.

Hopefully your plant will have healthy pitchers. If you get lidless pitchers (first one doesn't count, as the plant may still be aclimating), then you have the "TC-mutant" clone.

If your pitchers come out healthy, you will have a very bushy plant - and that's a good thing in my book!

Back