What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i am a redneck......

Just as there are people with less than good motives in all groups of society, there are some hunters who couldn't care less about the environment. Also, when I think of rednecks, I don't really envision them as hunters.

That said, it really bothers me when people condemn hunters because they shoot animals and the wounded animals might suffer for hours if it isn't killed right away. As if raising animals in factory farms for meat causes any less suffering on the animals. Furthermore, hunting was (and often still is) a major part of life for my ancestors (Taiwanese aborigines). The entire culture centered around hunting and farming. It was a rite of passage and served to connect the people with nature and their food source. As modernization and foreign cultures have come along, the old ways get swept aside and forgotten. Because my family gave up on tribal culture several generations ago, the only way I can really connect with my ancestors is through learning the language and building the same relationship with the earth that they had. Hunting is something that I've always wanted to do but don't yet have the time for, and though I live in an entirely different ecosystem, every time I hike the canyons around my home for elderberries, dig under the oaks for mushrooms, or plant the seeds for next year's fava beans I can appreciate my ancestors for how hard they worked and understand their culture a tiny bit better.

To hear people calling hunters savages or uncivilized is far more insulting to me than they think not only for their ignorance of how most hunting is done but also because they are insulting an ancient way of life.

Caesium, I think you brought a perspective and experience that no one else has. Thanks for your honest take on things... I know I enjoyed reading it.

Just as there are people with less than good motives in all groups of society, there are some hunters who couldn't care less about the environment. Also, when I think of rednecks, I don't really envision them as hunters.

That said, it really bothers me when people condemn hunters because they shoot animals and the wounded animals might suffer for hours if it isn't killed right away. As if raising animals in factory farms for meat causes any less suffering on the animals. Furthermore, hunting was (and often still is) a major part of life for my ancestors (Taiwanese aborigines). The entire culture centered around hunting and farming. It was a rite of passage and served to connect the people with nature and their food source. As modernization and foreign cultures have come along, the old ways get swept aside and forgotten. Because my family gave up on tribal culture several generations ago, the only way I can really connect with my ancestors is through learning the language and building the same relationship with the earth that they had. Hunting is something that I've always wanted to do but don't yet have the time for, and though I live in an entirely different ecosystem, every time I hike the canyons around my home for elderberries, dig under the oaks for mushrooms, or plant the seeds for next year's fava beans I can appreciate my ancestors for how hard they worked and understand their culture a tiny bit better.

To hear people calling hunters savages or uncivilized is far more insulting to me than they think not only for their ignorance of how most hunting is done but also because they are insulting an ancient way of life.

that would be because there is a difference between rednecks and white trash.......basically to me redneck is just a variation on blue collar worker.....the term redneck comes from a sunburned neck from working outside day after day as in farmers or ranchers or construction workers or whatever.........

Redneck has different meaning to different people, depending on where you go and who you talk to.

It's just one of those obscure blanket terms that we are guilty of using, like Conservative, Liberal, Redneck, Hippy, Tree-hugger, Hick, Blue-collar, White-collar, Savage, or Civilized.

They can't describe any large portion of the population in any definitive way, accurately without stepping on the theoretical toes of all those that have ever been labeled as any of those terms.

And Heck yeah caesium: Well said! +1

Lots of talk about meat...I'm hungry now. That last picture, rattler posted, looked divine. I'm a city girl and have never killed animals for food or for sport. I just go to the store, buy it, dress it, cooook it and eat it! I do appreciate the hard workers who raise the animals which feed me.

I know that it's a lot of work but will never know how much work it really is. I think the people who are bound to the soil by hard labor is what keeps humans bound to the earth. The closest thing I get to this sentiment is being an owner of two bird dogs...my two hundred pound labs, neither of whom have ever hunted for foul or probably even eaten fresh caught prey. I don't discourage it, but there really isn't much of a chance in the city.

Anyways, not much a point to this post...mostly that I appreciate the term "redneck" with the utmost respect. As far as I'm concerned, we need some more down-to-earth and easy-going folk. Sometimes it's just good to crack a can of bud light out in the country around a bond fire and laugh away the cares of the world.

I am an animal lover, and I dont like hunting of any kind just because it involves animals dying, which is sad to me, BUT if the entire animal is used and not just wasted and stuffed or left there I wouldnt speak against it. THat said, regardless if the animal is used or not, i think it should be guns only cuz crossbows and stuff just cause a lot of pain in the process.

Also, i didnt read nearly this whole thread just my sense on this.

Back