What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybrids by Fred P

dionae

sarracenia lover
I have so many different sarracenia hybrids from Fred that its ridiculous and i've noticed so do a lot of other people. He always mixes the best plants together so I thought he deserved his own thread. So, anyone with Fred P hybrids post them here. I'll start off with Leah Wilkerson x flava var. rubricorpora. This is still a young plant but you can tell it has the potential to grow into something special.

Last edited:
S. "Snake Charmer" x "Southern Comfort" already showing some nice features

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

S. purpurea ssp purpurea x 'Leah Wilkerson'

I like that first one! My seedlings aren't big enough to show any real characteristics yet, that will have to wait until next year, but with crossings such as 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack' and 'Leah Wilkerson' x 'Royal Ruby,' or catesbaei "Monster" x purpurea 'Red Ruffles' there ought to be some amazing plants in the mix.

Most of mine are small too but I have a few nice sized plants from Fred. Post more pics later.

Beautiful plants!

Oh I like that second cross you posted!

Thanks Jim and Heather! I think Fred is going to like that one too. I remember him speaking highly of the parents. You can definitely see some minor influence in the hybrid.

I only have seedlings of Schnell's Ghost x self from Fred. the Alucard x leuco alba died. Those would have been incredible, so I'll have to try it again myself next year.

Might sound like a dumb question but when the sarrs are that small do they still trap prey? If so what types of prey do they catch?

yes, they catch a lot of fungus gnats and ants when theyre smaller.

yes, they catch a lot of fungus gnats and ants when theyre smaller.

Cool!!! That's what I assumed but you know what happens when you assume sometime. Lol I bet that's amazing watching them go from having 1-2 inch pitchers to having 2 foot pitchers

Yes my tiny little baby seedlings catch fungus gnats.

Cool!!! That's what I assumed but you know what happens when you assume sometime. Lol I bet that's amazing watching them go from having 1-2 inch pitchers to having 2 foot pitchers

Yes, it is. Its amazing knowing a 2 ft plant was just an inch tall less than 2 years ago. Thats why I love growing sarracenia from seed. I'd rather have seeds than plants lol.

But it is different for you eric, your plants like are 3 feet tall in 6 months, they grow super fast for you, and the rest of us have 6 inch tall plants in 2 years if we are lucky. :)

You just have to cheat nature a lil bit Andrew;).

Freshly replanted S. 'leah Wilkerson' x 'Adrian Slack'

Back