What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huh? Whah? Double Trap?

I was just combimg through my plants, looking in detail at my beauties when I noticed this dicey trap
2008_07310008.jpg

Huh?
2008_07310010.jpg

Whah?
2008_07310009.jpg

Wow. A double trap. They are different sizes, at first I thought one trap is in another. Looking at a different angle, shows me they are fused:0o: Also, what are the strings with brown things on the end coming out the soil? And finaly, sorry about the crappy pics, I had to use 3X digital zoom to get a clear shot :)

Genetic Mutations FTW! Those aren't crappy pics, you know. And I think those are moss spores or something. I have no idea.

LOL mutation dionaea cut the leaf off and tissue culture to a new type of mutation vft !!!! lol

I had a freak trap like that last year:

my_first_freak.jpg

Wow, that's very cool!

...and what would one call a double trap cultivar like those? a 'tutu trap'... :-))

...and what would one call a double trap cultivar like those? a 'tutu trap'... :-))

LMAO!!!!!:-)) :-))

AWSOME pics guys, and fantastic VFTs, thats pretty cool how they do such odd things, one would think its a ploy to catch TWICE the amount of prey.. LOL!!

Surprisingly i have a lot of traps that come out mutated like that. :0o:

LOL mutation dionaea cut the leaf off and tissue culture to a new type of mutation vft !!!! lol

It doesn't work that way... Since this is a typical vft, and this 1 leaf is a fluke.

Nice find, Jayjay!

Since someone needs to say it every time this topic rolls around:

They're very cool, but none of these plants ever seem to end up really being "mutants." In fact, there's a good chance that there are metric tonnes of genetically identical plants out there from the same TC batch.

These things arise from time to time, but nobody that I know of has successfully propagated a plant that a) consistently displays these malformations and/or b) pass on the characteristic to offspring. Even then, one would need to consider the environmental factors... But if you think you've got a bonafide mutant, I'd be happy to meet it. ;)

Chances are though, that you're like me and have a few odd traps crop up on random plants every growing season.

They're very cool, but none of these plants ever seem to end up really being "mutants."

Yeah, I know! Even the VFT "Wacky Traps" / "Bart Simpson" is not a stable mutation!

Kinda disappointing.

Even the VFT "Wacky Traps" / "Bart Simpson" is not a stable mutation!
Kinda disappointing.

Huh? What do you mean? It's molecular structure, breaks down? Is it the same as fused traps then?

yeah, those brown string things are from the moss.

Cool pics everyone :)

Back