What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to repot a N. ventricosa with a long trunk, but also a basal?

I'm worried about my N. ventricosa. It doesn't appear to be doing well. But it never does this time of year, I guess. Maybe because it's near the heater, even though it doesn't blow on it. I assume a repot would help.

But I have a basal, too. I was thinking I'd have to pot the mama plant with more of the trunk in the soil, but I don't know if that's how it's really done.

Here's a thread from August when I found the basal. The basal is actually coming along very nicely.

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

If you think a repot isn't in order, let me know. Please advise. :-(???

I'm going to go trim off dead leaves and pitchers right now.

Last edited:
I'm worried about my N. ventricosa. It doesn't appear to be doing well. But it never does this time of year, I guess. Maybe because it's near the heater, even though it doesn't blow on it. I assume a repot would

there is something far more seriously wrong with that ventricosa than needing a repotting, but without knowing the specifics about your growing conditions it's impossible to know what's wrong here. That is a plant in severe distress, which is really saying something, as ventricosa is such an easy plant to grow.

Describe the growing conditions in detail?

there is something far more seriously wrong with that ventricosa than needing a repotting, but without knowing the specifics about your growing conditions it's impossible to know what's wrong here. That is a plant in severe distress, which is really saying something, as ventricosa is such an easy plant to grow.

Describe the growing conditions in detail?

It's in a pot with peat, perlite, LFS, and orchid bark. It was potted about a year ago. I think my plant hates winter, maybe because of the lower humidity, or because it's down near a heater (if I had to guess, I'd guess humidity, because the heat doesn't blow on the plant). It's about a foot below some 32W 5000K T8s I have. Could the smaller leaves and putting them out real fast mean it's too bright? Or just too warm?

I water every couple days with RO until it comes out the bottom of the pot. There is a water tray under it, so it *does* sit in the little bit of water after watering, and as I understand it, neps don't like that. Maybe that contributes to my problem. Oh, and I also feed him the occasional betta pellet. The same ones that work for my sundews. Maybe that contributes to the problem, too?

In the months when there's more light, like maybe starting now, I keep it up in a south-facing glass block window in my basement, where it seems to like. My first summer with it, I kept it outside under a translucent glass table, and I think it liked it there, but I've been too scared to move it back outside after it got used to inside. But now I'll try anything.

I trimmed and took more pics. The basal is so much greener.

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

If I do move him back outside, what's a magic night temperature that I should avoid? He would eat so much better outside.

Being close to the heater could definitely be your problem, but the media also looks a bit dense. I'd say move and repot it. Also, check to see if there are any little bumps all over the growth point or tiny bugs crawling around it. Severe thrips damage to my ventricosa x ventrata looked very similar.

Being close to the heater could definitely be your problem, but the media also looks a bit dense. I'd say move and repot it. Also, check to see if there are any little bumps all over the growth point or tiny bugs crawling around it. Severe thrips damage to my ventricosa x ventrata looked very similar.

I do have what I think are springtails. Real tiny and real silver. They're only in the soil.

I think my mix there is equal parts peat, LFS, perlite, and orchid bark. Maybe I used peat/LFS together and used equal parts to that for the others. Is there a better ratio I should use? Up the perlite?

No critters are bumps on the plant. Little red spots, though. It's had those in the past when I made distress posts. :-\

I really feel like it's the heater. Still, just repot into something looser. I'd probably just lose the peat entirely in your mix, or at least make it a very small proportion.

All righty. Question: Do I plant the whole trunk above soil level, or put some of it down in the soil?

The level you have it at now is fine, but covering the trunk a bit wouldn't make much of a difference. I wouldn't completely bury it, though.

A couple of things:

1) verify the humidity levels. If you are in the low 30% range at room temp, that could be contributing to the problem.
2) if you can FEEL the heat from the heat source if you hold your hand where the plant is situated, then its too close to that heat source. This is potentially a major issue. Those small, twisted looking new leaves at the center of the main shoot are symptomatic of temperatures above its comfort zone. I'm talking mainly about NIGHT temps: they should drop to at least 60F consistently every night. 55F might even be better. You should probably gather some stats on day/night highs and lows. When new foliage gets smaller rather than larger, its often because either/both day and night temps are too warm.
3) the foliage is browning at the edges, which suggests a possibly toxic media. Are you 100% certain that the materials used to make the soil mix are guaranteed free of fertilizers/added nutrients? Even "pure" peat moss nowadays has some fertilizer added, making it necessary to "wash" the peat before using.

So, I see symptoms of more than one issue here. I doubt insect damage is at play. investigate the other issues first, then consider looking at insect damage. (although it never hurts to inspect your plants with a good magnifying lens.)

A couple of things:

1) verify the humidity levels. If you are in the low 30% range at room temp, that could be contributing to the problem.
2) if you can FEEL the heat from the heat source if you hold your hand where the plant is situated, then its too close to that heat source. This is potentially a major issue. Those small, twisted looking new leaves at the center of the main shoot are symptomatic of temperatures above its comfort zone. I'm talking mainly about NIGHT temps: they should drop to at least 60F consistently every night. 55F might even be better. You should probably gather some stats on day/night highs and lows. When new foliage gets smaller rather than larger, its often because either/both day and night temps are too warm.
3) the foliage is browning at the edges, which suggests a possibly toxic media. Are you 100% certain that the materials used to make the soil mix are guaranteed free of fertilizers/added nutrients? Even "pure" peat moss nowadays has some fertilizer added, making it necessary to "wash" the peat before using.

So, I see symptoms of more than one issue here. I doubt insect damage is at play. investigate the other issues first, then consider looking at insect damage. (although it never hurts to inspect your plants with a good magnifying lens.)

I'm 100% sure. It's the same peat I use with all my other CPs, and I washed it anyway. I washed all the soil ingredients. I bet I know what the problem is....

The night temps were about 70. All winter. In fact, the night temps were probably higher than the day temps, because I'm a night owl, and would have the heat on down here when I was awake, and it'd be cooler once I turned the heat off and went to bed around sunrise.

I couldn't feel the heat where the plant is. I just remembered I have a thermometer under there and it didn't indicate feeling the heat either, as far as I remember. But even without feeling the heat directly, having warmer nights than days probably did it, huh. Heck.

So I'm going to repot it right now with LFS, orchid bark, and perlite, 1:1:1. Unless someone has any reason why I shouldn't. Then I'm going to put it somewhere outside. They don't like direct sunlight, from what I hear. Maybe I shouldn't even have it right under those lights then...

The night temps were about 70. All winter. In fact, the night temps were probably higher than the day temps<edit>.

In a word, yes; too warm for healthy growth. Find a way to get it down to between 50F and 60F, as best you can. Anything under 50F for extended periods will likely prove detrimental, so monitor temps carefully.

The good news is those are the night time temps here right now. So I'll keep him outside. I've had this guy for a while, but keeping those night temps year-round may be too difficult for me. May eventually have to send him to a better home :-\

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

We'll see if he likes this any better, outside.

Thanks for all the help.

Ignore post, didn't realize there was a 2nd page. Useless advice now lol.

The growth is definitely similar to a spider mite attack and that would correlate nicely with the low humidity. But I don't see any bugs and I trust that you don't either.

So that probably leaves the lower humidity and high temps as the cause of the weird growth. But I wouldn't be too worried! I bet it will enjoy the repot and will probably like being outside getting some real sunlight. (It may get burnt, but don't worry).

Honestly your plant looks really healthy IMO. :lol:

Check out my ventricosa - this should give you an idea how hardy they really are. Mine's been chugging along with about 10 hours of very low level light and the last couple weeks its been subjected to 45 degree days and 40 degree nights.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129152&highlight=ventricosa

There's no reason to get rid of your plant! :-D

I put this N. ventricosa on the north side of two bigger pots, since I heard they don't like as much direct sunlight. If this is wrong, let me know. Also, should I take off the bottom of the pot that works as a watering tray, and put it on something that will let it drain better? I also heard they don't like sitting in water.

IMG_3536.JPG

See it hiding there on the right?

IMG_3537.JPG

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Ah heck, I just read I should have used a "fine" orchid bark. Like, put in a bag and crush with a hammer. Every day's a school day.

Should I take off the bottom of the pot that works as a watering tray, and put it on something that will let it drain better? I heard they don't like sitting in water. Would that be a non-issue with how airy this pot is with all this perlite?

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. The pot looks substantially larger than the plant so the roots probably aren't reaching down to where it would be waterlogged.

There were practically no roots. Just like last time I repotted.

Back