What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long to leave hanging baskets outside?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
After having 4 hanging baskets of Neps (ventrata, cocchinea, and ampularia) outside all summer long, in Reading, PA, how long can I keep them there? What overnight lows can they take?

they can live through light frosts but this is not recomended, are you crazy! tropicals have to get inside by september!
smile_l_32.gif

happy growing
smile.gif

Isn't N. ampularia an extreme lowlander? If so, it should have come in a while ago. I used to have a N. ventrata and it would stay out into the upper 40s like my others. I've never had a N. cocchinea.

N.ampullaria is pretty happy in humid and lowlight enviroment what I have heard. But it shouldnt get lower then 64 F

Thanks, the ampularia goes back inside, now!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Oct. 07 2005,7:45)]they can live through light frosts...
Hi 7santiago,

please don't post such information without experience. Others might easily loose their plants following your wrong informations. Only the very extreme higland plants like N. villosa are reported to have withstood light frost.

Cheers Joachim

oh no, sorry to debate but i have had some nepenthes survive through a light frost, having the stem turned to mush and then getting a new side bud, although its not recomended i have had experience in carelessly leaving my nepenthes out while i whent to get a new pot for it in my shed, i left the plant through the night and once i discovered my plant in ruins it produces a new stem a couple of months later,
laugh.gif
i feel a little insulted by the post
smile_h_32.gif

but i see you said it very formaly, well i almost forgot to state the plants names

it was a giant pot of burbidea (live), khasiana (live), mirabilis (RIP), rafflesiana 'singapore giant' (RIP) , alata stiped(lived amazingly but later died of a thripe infection. i was only eleven and i was very clumzy.
confused.gif
now im still recovering my colection, please if you have any coments, disbelief , post em.

happy growing
smile.gif

Having a survival rate of 50% or less deserves a phrase less optimistic than, "they can live through light frosts but this is not recomended."

I've only grown Neps for a couple years, but I haven't seen much benefit in challenging their cold tolerance very far as fall approaches.  Unlike my orchids, which I push as far as I can.

The orchids do much better with more outdoor time this time of year.  They love the cool, wet weather we sometimes get.  So I'm willing to take some chances.  I haven't noticed the same thing for the Neps, but maybe I will as I stray further into more extreme highlanders.

Please ladies and gentlemen,
before buying a Nepenthes you have to inform yourself or at least to ask to the buyer to which altitudes they grow!!!!!!
THE AMPULLARIA IS SUFFERING A LOT!
Soon put it inside the houseeeeeeee!
Mr_Aga

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 08 2005,3:51)]Having a survival rate of 50% or less deserves a phrase less optimistic than, "they can live through light frosts but this is not recomended."
I believe 3 out of 5 is more than 50%...

-D. Lybrand

yes dlybrand is a whole 10% more
smile_n_32.gif

The ampularia is safely inside, now. Our temps are projected to be between 50 & 68 for the next week. I'll be moving them back to the lab next week.

Yeah, temps here have been a lot higher than usual and plants could have been kept outdoors past the normal time. I guess it's been the same there?

-D. Lybrand

I was including the thrip infested plant as either a neutral or a loss because a weakened plant is far more likely to succumb to pests. I don't know how long that plant survived after the cold exposure, but the effects can last for a long time.

I suppose you are right. And 60% survival rate is still not all that optimistic.

-D. Lybrand

The ampularia is safely inside and the other Neps have been consolidated into two baskets. They will stay outside for at least another week before I take them to the lab, depending upon overnight lows, which are staying above 50.

Back