What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long is to long

I'm going out of town for Xmas, leaving tomorrow most likely won't be home until sunday or monday. So that 4 to 5 nights that my plants won't get a lights out. They are by a south facing window, but they weren't getting enough light before I bought lights.

What is the better option for me. Let them stay in a never ending day, or to let them not get enough light.

I haven't been able to find any three prong timers around here, maybe I'll have some luck while down in the big city for Xmas.

I would leave the light off..
the plants can deal just fine for such a short span of days, and if they are in that south window, they are still getting SOME light..its not like they will be in total darkness.

and I wouldnt want to risk having bright lights on that long when im not home..
im paranoid about fires..I dont like leaving *anything* electrical running 24/7 when im gone for several days..

my vote is leave the light off..the plants will be fine.
(will they have enough water for the duration??)

Scot

If you have a local Lowes, they carry 3-prong timers. You just have to really look (or try to find an employee that knows what you mean).

Well I vote for a timer. They are great for turning your lights on and off. Alternatively, I would vote for lights on. My plants in the basement stay under constant lights-on and they do fine. You are only going to be gone a few days so I'm sure it won't hurt them a bit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you have a local Lowes, they carry 3-prong timers. You just have to really look (or try to find an employee that knows what you mean).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well I vote for a timer. They are great for turning your lights on and off.

Well as I said in the first post, no luck on finding a timer by me.
The closest lowes would be about 95 miles from home, were I am for the holidays... I could get to a home deput but thats 60 miles from home.

Back