What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How important is rinsing?

Hello, earlier today I put together a mini-bog with my small CP collection (2 VFT's, 2 S. rubra's, & 1 purple pitcher plant gotten just yesterday from lowe's). I used the standard 1:1 ratio of peat to sand. When I got the sand yesterday, I surprisingly couldn't find playground sand at either Lowe's or Home Depot. So I purchased all-purpose sand. I searched through the forums when I got home yesterday and found that the consensus is that this sand is usually okay if it is rinsed beforehand for good measure. Now, when I mixed the media this morning I was in a rush which made me completely forget to rinse the sand. I didn't realize this until well after I was done.
What should I do? I have no extra media leftover and won't be able to get more for a day or two. Should I buy new peat and sand and transplant them ASAP, or is this situation not so bad and I can afford to watch over them for a while and only make a new mini-bog if the plants are obviously dying?

people are usually split in this topic. some people rinse everything including peat. some never rinse anything. personally i rinse my sand and perlite. I've stopped rinsing peat, spaghnum and orchid bark.
it more or less just depends on how dirty you sand was and where it came from. if you have good drainage just keep flushing.

It would really depend on whether the sand contains any lime - not that rinsing would help in that case anyway.

Back