What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horticultural Sand vs. Coarse Builder's Sand

Hopefully this isn't a repetitive post but here it goes...

So I live in San Francisco and I can find bulk horticultural sand around here. However, in Upstate NY that is a different story. I will be in NY at the end of August putting in a bog garden and I've been calling stores over there to see if they carry horticultural sand. Only one store had it but it was in small 5 lb. bags which isn't practical for the amount that I need. The only sand that I've been able to locate in "bulk" has been coarse builder's sand. Once place had something they called "general purpose sand" but w/o seeing it in person I can't be sure that's what I need. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using coarse builder's sand? I've done some research on it and just want to make sure I'm not getting the type with the polymer in it that makes it carcinogenic. I believe that type is used for laying pavers because the sand "sticks" together. I also don't know whether coarse builder's sand normally has much salt in it? I know that hort sand is usually pre-washed and doesn't have any salt. I've also thought about using pumice stone but it's very unlikely that I can find that to buy in bulk in NY.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I've used building materials all purpose sand (as well as play sand) before, with no problems. Just rinse it first.

Thanks for the quick feedback, Jim! Rinsing isn't a problem but wouldn't the play sand be too fine? I didn't think that type of sand was too gritty.

You may also try looking at pool supply stores. Pool filter sand is pure silica.

They have pools in New York, right?

farm and feed supply store cherry stone chicken grit

Do it Best home centers carry a product called course media blasting sand. 100 percent silica. 8.99 for 50 pounds..beautiful stuff.

Just curious as to where in upstate NY you'll be in??

Quite a few NYer's here that may be able to point you in the exact location to get what you need based on what part you'll be in.

First thing that came to mind to me for bulk application is the sand that can be found at NY Home Depot / Lowes in 50lb bags, however, I've never used such sand...

I've also used pool filter sand. Whichever you have easiest access to would be fine. Just rinse whatever impurities that may be mixed in. As to the fineness of the sand, that hasn't been an issue, especially when mixed with peat and or other media.

Play sand seems to work perfectly

I've used play and PFS both without issues...I prefer PFS, myself, as I like to use it in my aquarium(s) as well.

I buy my coarse pool filter sand from Leslies also. Nice stuff but you need to rince it first.

This bog will be located in Ulster Country in Upstate NY. There should be a good number of pool supply stores around but I wonder if the filter sand is too fine?

I found a source for "concrete sand" that is gritty and sells for $36 per yard. Anybody, have any experience with this stuff? Sounds like it might work...and I like the price!

go to a place that sells welding supplies they will sell sandblasting sand cheap,what ever size you need

Back