What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Depot Self Checkout

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I made up a little disclaimer sign I'd like to perch on the self checkout stations. It reads:

Hi, my name is Sibyl. I have 16 personalities, and most of them are unpleasant. Your kid is the "unexpected item in the bagging area". Pay no attention to me as I am blind, deaf, and dumb. You'd never know if that I am a glorified scale, since there are no signs to indicate as such. I don't live in reality and haven't a clue as to whether you are stealing anything or not. Trust me.... no cashiers lost their jobs to me, since I obviously can't function without them! Please take your change and thank you for shopping at the Home Depot!

LOL! I take it your kid was hanging around the bagging area? As far as I know... All self checkout places use this... I found out the 1st time i ever used a self checkout, and i scanned my soda and set it to the side to drink instead of putting it in the bag
smile_n_32.gif
(this was a grocery store not STUPID home depot. (wife works for Lowes LOL!!!) ..)

I remember the first time the wife and I used one at Kroger. Took us forever to scan things. Its not as easy as it looks! Then had a few time where we had the unexpected item in the bagging area for no reason, and then of course the Large items that must skip the bagging area. LOL Sometimes these things are more trouble than they are worth. Oh and don;t try to buy beer through one of these things. You still have to wait for the cashier to come and ok it. LOL Save time? Year right.

That's too funny !! My wife hates these things and I love them. Let me pack all that stuff up and I can do it in 3 double bags. That's why the put eggs in a carton, so you can stack stuff on them.

I will second droseraguy, I love them too. There's always a smaller line and I can usually finish faster than a cashier would (taking 'friendly chatter' and 'informational chatter' time into account). I use them weekly when food shopping and only had a problem once; earlier this year the coupon sucker needed emptied. The best part: I don't have to deal with people!*

I just wish they would put faster processors in the darn things.

* Disclaimer: I'm not anti-social; I really like dealing with good retail workers. The problem is management won't fire the bad ones in most places so only one out of twenty is anything short of offensive.
smile_h_32.gif

I had a bad experience with the robo-checkout at Wal Mart. Took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get the stupid thing to LET ME PAY.

I think Kroger has kept the secret of good robo-checkout for themselves.

Push the "Pay Now" button on the touch screen. hehehe

I look at this way, if you know to play the game - it's easy. Trouble is, there's a learning curve involved and a lot of people don't wanna be bothered by it. Most of the people over 50 are convinced that some cashier is out of a job by the thing. Still, IMO, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Andrew; What does Deangela do at Lowes?

you guys complain to much, those things are so easy!

I just tried one at Walmart..had 3 items to buy.
I picked "pay with cash" at the beginning of the process,
scanned the items, hit "pay now" and got "option not available"..
mad.gif

so at the beginning it said I could pay with cash, and when it was done it told me I couldnt..I just left it and went to a regular line..
by the time I got through the regular line, a clerk was still trying to clear out the machine I left..

fortunately I only go to Walmart once every 5 years or so..
I hate the place.
I only went because they are the only place that carrys the Krylon spray paint I needed..

Scot

Scot (and Ben): What's funny to listen to at the Depot is the voice they chose. She obviously doesn't have a WNY accent. She 'cash' without a flat 'A'. They coulda at least tried to use a regional voice. Or even Majel Barrett!

One of the more annoying things is people who get into the self checkout lines and don't know how to use the darn things.

I like the self checkout lines because I am faster than the cashiers who have graduated from "Home Depot Cashier College."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Sep. 03 2006,9:52)]One of the more annoying things is people who get into the self checkout lines and don't know how to use the darn things.

I like the self checkout lines because I am faster than the cashiers who have graduated from "Home Depot Cashier College."
That would be most people who use it! Or at least those that are forced to use it when there are calloffs and they are shorthanded. We get all the people over 50, who would not normally be there and are intimidated by computers. It's all really about know how to play the game.... and then things are usually smoothe and quick.

People do illogical things there. I saw a guy the other day who attempted to scan a trash barrel and he was trying to get that UPC on the scanner and it just wasn't anywhere's close. Then there are the people who walk up to the SCO cashier and hand them their goods and money. Hello.... it's called 'self checkout'!

Back