What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HL chamber question, should I get a fan or what?

Recorded temperature through the day. Although, the average temperature is around 73 during the day and in the 60's at night.
High - 77
Low - 66

Humidity
High - 100 (Although the humidity seems to drop 10% every 3 hours or so. It starts to drop when the light turns on. Had I not spray the tank twice a day with a water bottle, the humidity might drop even further).
Low -61

I read in the Savage Garden HL Nepenthes requires 50s and low 60s night temperature.
Which means that night time temperature drop isn't enough.

Currently the tank is in my room, since I like to stare at it. I will move it into a different room or the garage if I am unable to provide the cooling it needs. The tank does have a glass lid but it doesn't cover the entire top of the tank, there's space for air.

I've seen and read people who use PC fans. For a 10 gallon tank, anyone have a specific fan they can suggest?
Based on what I've read, a fan can be either blowing at the lighting fixture or inside the tank. Now, if my current night time temperature is unideal, then I'd need a cooling method. I read on how this guy had his ultrasonic fogger and pc fan turn on simultaneously to help distribute the fog inside the tank. Would that be an over kill for my tank? Also is air circulation necessary, I ask because I want to grow some Helis. But I think if I had only a fan, the humidity would drop too much. So, I don't really know what to do...... Because, if that stuff is going on at night, will it be loud enough to wake me up?

Also, how often do I water the plant and how much standing water can it be in?

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

If all else fails, I shall then move the tank into the garage.

Last edited:
For a PC fan I'd recommend any of the Silenx quiet fans. The IXP-34-16 might be perfect for your application of it were blowing in the terrarium. These fans are dead silent (unless you put your ear right next to them and have good hearing).

I would run the fan in conjunction with an ultrasonic fogger on a timer so that they turn on for a few minutes every few hours during the day.

66F nights are still a good ten degrees from optimal for highland species. You need to work on that.

HeliGoddess

Really appreciate the fan recommendation, I"ll order one and give it a try. Plus the ultrasonic fogger on a timer. Thanks!!!!

Also make sure you get a 14v power supply for the silenx fans. Double check the voltage of the exact fan you decide to go with on their website, but most of them are 14v.

Remember, Helis don't like constantly high airflow so be sure to run the fan/fogger only when necessary to maintain temperature and humidity. You will need to make sure there is always some air circulation though.

Last edited:
To drop temperature further you should consider using an A/C unit. You can get a window unit in the 8000 BTU range for less then $100 . If you run the output of the A/C into your chamber/terrarium, you can get drops into the low 50s pretty easily. You can have it on a timer for night time.

ya I think an A/C unit will be my last resort. thanks for the suggestion mksmith

Back