What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, it’s been a hot minute… still growing a few things here and there.

• Thread starter amphirion
  • Start date
I've nearly finished enjoying my first month's worth of alpina flowers....but I think it's going to be a long time before my plant makes a display even half that size. I did get one pod to be possibly making seeds though...
Also I love just how odd undulatifolia looks. Not that the pitchers are particularly weird, or even the leaves, but the combo just doesn't really happen in other species (even all those fat Philippines species just look...different).

Not to disregard hcarlton’s comment, you have some great looking plants, especially that Edwarsiana! Just wondering, Do you have a Villosa? Any advice would be appreciated.

Not to disregard hcarlton’s comment, you have some great looking plants, especially that Villosa! Any advice as I’m really wanting to get one soon?
Hi Camden, I actually don’t have villosa. The toothy plant there is actually edwardsiana. I have no experience with villosa but have heard it has a harsh reputation of being difficult, especially as the plant matures, requiring stricter temperatures for success long term.

Nice plants. Does the Hamata ever give you trouble? I’ve always wanted one and they’re pretty readily available nowadays but I’m worried about trying to grow it without a chamber of some kind

Nice plants. Does the Hamata ever give you trouble? I’ve always wanted one and they’re pretty readily available nowadays but I’m worried about trying to grow it without a chamber of some kind
I've found it to be fairly sensitive, but not too difficult. Definitely something for a greenhouse, chamber, or large terrarium though. It likes humidity, not a lot of light, and above all, stable conditions. I've had no issues with it in my greenhouse and I've only been able to get it down to about 65 minimum for the past month and a half. Definitely appreciates cooler temperatures though.

My rajah hybrids are throwing more of a tantrum than my pure hamata and lowii are, and I find that interesting and hilarious.

I've found it to be fairly sensitive, but not too difficult. Definitely something for a greenhouse, chamber, or large terrarium though. It likes humidity, not a lot of light, and above all, stable conditions. I've had no issues with it in my greenhouse and I've only been able to get it down to about 65 minimum for the past month and a half. Definitely appreciates cooler temperatures though.

My rajah hybrids are throwing more of a tantrum than my pure hamata and lowii are, and I find that interesting and hilarious.
That's interesting because I have a rajah x veitchii and rn it's not even getting a temperature change at all and it's pitchered at every leaf although to be fair it has yet to make a leaf jump.. (i grow under lights in my bathroom with humidifier)

Hey, @Gregbey, I think you might find these two threads interesting-

I know that these were useful to me when I got mine.

So what I've noticed with mine is that it's not super difficult to grow, though it is a bit more sensitive than lowii. It's harder and requires a lot of patience to grow it well though. I got mine almost a year ago and it's only just now made it's first pitcher for me despite at least doubling in size, since I had to move it a few times. Which killed any developing pitchers. It's fairly adaptable but you can't just move it around and expect it to not throw a fit for a couple of months.

I don't feel like it's suitable for a windowsill. A terrarium or chamber near an air conditioner, or a greenhouse in front of an evaporative cooler, sure. But it needs more humidity than most people have in their houses. At least it does if you want any pitchers.

Back